Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's it gonna be: NW2004S?

nol_hendrikx
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear all,

Within SAP's strategy to deliver products (PAM) I recently saw a version called NW2004S.

I am wondering what kind of differences are between 2004 and 2004S.

Topics I'd like to know are:

- Guided procedures (CAF 2.0) available?

- Adobe interactive forms / WAS 7.0 supporting thin clients? (non Active-X and ACF). I know the Adobe Reader version must be 7.0.5 (will be released this year - planned)

- New ESS / MSS components?

- Can we use this release without being in Rampup for ERP 2005?

There is some documentation about 2004S (SAP Netweaver 2004S - FAQ), but it does not mention anything regarding these changes/differences.

Kind regards,

Noë

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

eddy_declercq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

The TechEd session reveiled only minor updates:

- WebDynpro for ABAP, RegEx, new editor

- enhancements in BI: new L&F, enhanced query, analyse and reporting ppssibilities, integrated business planning and high performance analytics

- EP van have now global and federal portals

- everything will have 7 as version number.

Ramp up for starts in october and will be GA in may. There is no link with ERP 2005 rampup.

Eddy

nol_hendrikx
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Eddy,

Thanks for the info...

So we will get the WAS 7.0? That is one of the preliminaries for a thin client version of Adobe. Sounds good to me 😛

Do I understand you right that there will be rampup for 2004S? The FAQ for NW 2004S mentioned there will be no rampup for 2004S... Still a bit confused however

eddy_declercq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Noel,

I've been looking into the handouts again to make sure.

There is a slide saying:

- End users with mobile devices tahat are occasionally connected can carry oit their task without being connected to the backend system.

- USers require the ability to send forms, provide comments, verify data on forms and retunr the forms to the business application. They need to be able to build their own processes and support offline business processes.

There will be a ramp up for sure. Check service.sap.com/rampup for this.

Eddy

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Originally there was not going to be a standalone Netweaver 2004S ramp-up. My company was trying to get into ramp-up and we were told that it was only open to those willing to do an ERP2005 ramp-up (this was back in May). Somewhere along the lines, this must have changed however. Now one of the valid ramp-up environments is standalone NetWeaver 2004S.

Check out:

service.sap.com/rampup

It is still listed on the same line as ERP2005 so there must still be a very close connection between the two. However in the ramp-up scoping form itself, NetWeaver 2004S standalone was one of the options.

markus_meisl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

some input from NetWeaver Product Management from the Interactive Forms (Adobe) perspective:

- You will get SAP NetWeaver Application Server (the new name) 7.0.

- You will get a zero-install client for Interactive Forms (no ACF), the timing is not 100% certain yet.

- In HR, there will be the HR Administrator function that makes extensive use of Interactive Forms.

- There are a few spots for NetWeaver 2004s stand-alone ramp-up projects. As Eddy and Thomas stated, the details are in SMP, and the process goes through your local SAP contacts.

My understanding is also that Guided Procedures 2.0, which offers an integration with Interactive Forms for offline scenarios, will be shipped with 2004s.

Regards.

Markus Meisl

SAP NetWeaver Product Management

eddy_declercq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi, Pls don't forget to reward points if you find the answers useful.

Eddy

nol_hendrikx
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You are all so quick, I even could not reward points

Thanks for the great info!

Noel

nol_hendrikx
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I know I closed the topic, but maybe someone can tell me if we can run MySAP ERP <b>2004</b> with Netweaver <b>2004S</b>.

Markus also mentioned:

"My understanding is also that Guided Procedures 2.0, which offers an integration with Interactive Forms for offline scenarios, will be shipped with 2004s"

Is this only for offline scenarios? As far as I know the current webdynpro applications (IsrForm - pcui_gp) are part of the XSS package. This package is related to the backend (ECC 5.0).

Kind regards,

Noel

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

No NetWeaver2004S will be the technology layer for ERP2005 (all of which enters ramp-up this month). SAP has not anounced any plans to offer NetWeaver04S as an installation option for ERP2004.

markus_meisl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Noel

let me clarify my remark:

Interactive Forms is shipped with 2004s integrated into more technologies than in NetWeaver 04.

You have been able to use it with Web Dynpro Java and ABAP (for high-volume printing, i.e. non-interactive) in NetWeaver 04 and with ISR in ERP 2004 (e.g. MSS).

From 2004s, it is also integrated into Web Dynpro ABAP, BI reporting (for printing tables from the browser), and Guided Procedures.

While in ISR you only have online scenarios with PDF forms, GP only offers the possibility of using a PDF form for offline scenarios. GP obviously also has online steps available, but not if you want to use a PDF form.

Once it's up, have a look at the overview presentation I held at TechEd with Matthias Zeller from Adobe, it shows how Interactive Forms is integrated and which applications are shipping forms using these technologies.

Regards,

Markus

Answers (0)