cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RFC Destination ,port, connection types....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts

what is the relation between port and RFC destination??

suppose i want to send one IDOC from R/3 to XI.

how many RFC destination i need to create ...and why RFC destination is required????

why we create RFC dest in R/3 and XI both?

why we create port in R/3 and XI both?

I am totally confused!!

please help me out...

i will request all the expert please give me explanation in words rather pointing link....

thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

When you send an Idoc from R/3 to XI, you are basically trying to access a remote system (in this case XI) from R/3. So you need to make a remote function call (RFC) to XI. Before that you need to check if XI is recognised as an RFC destination from the R/3 system or not. Log in to the R/3 system and go to transaction sm59. XI ( target host:inbomsap11 service no./ port:50000 ) should be present in the list of rfc destinations. Just perform a connection test for it to confirm that the connection is working.

Port is the gateway through which data comes into or goes out from a system. Every RFC destination, or in other words, every system would have a port no. assigned to it, which would also already be maintained. Check transaction we21 for this.

If you post the idoc from XI to R/3 you need to ensure that R/3 is recognised as an RFC destination from XI. So go to transaction sm59 from XI system and check if that connection exists.

So for one sender-reciever pair you need to maintain one RFC destination.

Regards,

Jyotika.

Pls reward points if helpful.

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks jyothika,

so for one sender-reciver pair..only one RFC destination is required??

what i need to do.. if i want to send data from Xi to R/3??

i need to create RFC destination and port at XI system using SM59. which will be pointing to r/3..

and connection type will be again 3 correct...

and in reciver side(r/3) i need not do anything???

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sam,

Yes, u got it right.

Go to transaction sm59 in XI. In the type 3 connections, check if there is an rfc destination pointing to the R/3 system.

Similarly you will find the R/3 system listed among the ports in we21.

Nothin needs to be done at the receiver side.

Thanks for awardin points

Regards,

Jyotika.

Former Member
0 Kudos

U deserve it

ok..another doubt!!

can we reuse RFC destination???...or

we have to create a new RFC destination for each scenario everytime??

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

U do not need to create the RFC destination for every scenario. RFC destination is created for system not for every scenario. U can use the same RFC destination for different scenario if that is sending data to the same system.

Thnx

Chirag

Former Member
0 Kudos

what abot port??

i guess we need to use diffrent port ...

because at same time two scenario may run..so there may be some conflict if we use same port .

correct me if i am worng??

Former Member
0 Kudos

U can reuse all rfc destinations. A connection from a sender to receiver system needs to be created only once. The same can then be used repeatedly in different scenarios. U only need to check if the connection is working fine.

Same holds true for ports.

Moreover, all these settings (such as ports, rfc's) are preconfigured. U donot need to configure any.

Regards,

Jyotika.

Edited by: Jyotika Manghani on Dec 26, 2007 12:39 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jyothika,

i got ur point...

u said for one sender rcvr pair...only one RFC destination will be maintained ..and yhat will be maintained in Sender side only....

but i think.. we have to create a RFC destination in XI to sender system which we need to specify while maintaining the metadata using transaction IDX1..can u clear me on this

Former Member
0 Kudos

In the similar fashion which was created in R3 SM59,we need to create the RFC destination in XI that points to R3 if its a XI-R3 IDOC scenario...and also we need to maitain the port in IDX1. and that port name will be used in the IDOC receiver communication channel.

Thnx

Chirag

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think, we donot have the authorisation to update the metadata for an idoc in idx1. This is again all predefined and standard for all scenarios. So, according to me creating a destination from XI to R/3 would not be required.

But, ya, u would need such a connection when u r postin an idoc from XI to R/3.

Regards,

Jyotika.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

Asking the same question in multiple thread is not a good way of asking the question...Please see my response in the thread.

Thnx

Chirag

Former Member
0 Kudos

i didn't knew that....

mistakenly i unchecked the question tab of the previous thread... so i reposted it which is now a question and i can assigned point to u ppl for good answer !!!

chirag....

can u tell me little bit about the connection types....i mean when we use 3,1 or any other??

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/9e/c5fd409d04f223e10000000a155106/frameset.htm

Refer the above help for conncetion type.

The following list gives you an overview of the possible connection types:

· I Connection to an application server with the same database

· 3 Connection to an ABAP system

· 2 Connection to an R/2 system

· T Start an external program using TCP/IP

· L Reference entry (refers to another destination)

· S Start an external program using SNA or APPC

· X RFC with special ABAP drive routines

· M CMC connection

· H HTTP connection to an ABAP system

· G HTTP connection to an external server

Thnx

Chirag