cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running different SPs in ABAP and Java Stack?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

we do have a dual stack installation of the Web Application server.

We wanted to update from SP9 to SP12. Unfortunately we had problems with updating the ABAP Stack. The problems are not solved yet.

At the Java side we would like to user some new features of SP12. Can we update the Java stack though the ABAP stack is not updated yet?

Thanks for an anwser

Helmut

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

tombo_larsen
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

In general - yes you can do that. Think of it as if you had only installed the java stack, then it would work fine. Use the features now and patch the abap stack when able to do so.

BR

Tom Bo

htammen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tom,

did you hear that from an SAP employee or do you have experience with this?

The official statement of the SAP is that all components have to be of the same SP.

I want to do this update at customer side. So it should really work. Otherwise I have problems to argue the additional costs and time for updating and restoring the system.

Regards

Helmut

tombo_larsen
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

I have tried it - not with this particular combination of packages but it should not matter. SAP made support packages stacks to make i.e. testing easier so of cause they will not recommend different levels - which I wont do either in general. However for a particular scenario/installation that I knows and as an exception I would not be reserved for doing this.

It also depends of what runs on the WAS and how much interaction between the two stacks there is. One example could be running EP on a dobule stack system, here I would not personally be afraid og having a higher Java level than abap.

One question of cause is what's the problem with patching the abap stack? It would always be better to solve this problem first, but sometimes we have to make expetions due to timing and priorities...

BR

Tom Bo

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

I have experienced this with SP10->SP12, although my situation was slightly reversed. We upgraded the ABAP side of our development system to SP12 and then were planning to upgrade the Java a few days later. For resource issues, there was a several day gap.

I can tell you that Adobe Forms stopped working. We got SOAP errors when trying to make any call from ABAP to Adobe. I would image that there were changes to the interface between the releases. I would think you would run that risk with any component that interfaces between the two personalities.