cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exception while applying time filter in Logging API for file...

benjamin_houttuin
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Guru's,

We use NWA alot to view our logs. I see alot of error records in our logs that state the following:

Example Error:

Severity: error

Date: 2007-12-21

Time: 07:31:17:880

User: n/a

Message: Exception while applying time filter in Logging API for file ./log/system/logging.log

Category: n/a

Location: com.sap.tc.logging.APILogger.ReadableLog[setFilter()]

Application: n/a

Thread: SAPEngine_System_Thread[impl:5]_58

Data Source: /usr/sap/RB1/JC10/j2ee/cluster/server1/log/defaultTrace.trc

Argument Objects: java.lang.Exception: Exception while applying time filter in Logging API for file ./log/system/logging.log

Because the above error is an example from our log I would like to point out that the message is not only on the file: "./log/system/logging.log" but also on the files...

./log/applications/kmc/collaboration/rtc/applicationSharingServer.%g.log

./log/applications/supportplatform/SPWebDynpro.log

./log/usersession.log

./log/system/database.0.log

./log/system/network.log

etc

...all with the same message: "Exception while applying time filter in Logging API for file <path and filename>"

Does anyone have a clue? (we run on AIX5.3, Oracle10.2, NW7.0 SP13)

Thanks in advance,

Benjamin Houttuin

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Benjamin,

The error message you point out means that some problem has happened while Logging API switches on time filtering, which would lead to better performance. However, because of the problem while applying the filter, the improvement won't be of any use.

The user action that lead to the code that got the problem was most probably applying time&date filter criteria in NWA Log Viewer.

I would be glad to investigate what was the problem that lead to this error message. However the logs in this version were not designed to reveal all the needed information, so we may consider exchanging some files including the latest sources. If you agree on that, please contact me.

Regards,

Simeon Petkov

SAP Logging developer

benjamin_houttuin
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Simeon,

Thanks this answered my question enough... We can live with the messages.

I was very interested in the fact if it was critical or not.

Regarding your description about the useraction I can confirm that we always use the time&date filter both the absolute and relative one.

So this might exactly be the cause of the error's.

Hope it gets fixed in future SPs!

Thanks again,

Benjamin Houttuin