cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xMII v12 Release Date and Recommendation to Upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

We're running 11.5.3 and don't have anything in production yet but are within a month of delivering a set of key metrics to one of our plants.

Would you recommend we upgrade to v12 before we go live with this first project? (If we told the plant it would be a couple of months I don't think they'd mind and my feeling is the longer we wait to upgrade, the more effort it will be.) The last I saw regarding a v12 release date was in a post dated 10/19/07 - it mentioned 11/30/07. Is it available now?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Dave,

Hope all is well. As of approx. 3 weeks ago v12 of xMII was officially released to our customers so you are set there. The next step for you would be to get a NetWeaver system that is 2004s SP10 or newer installed and configured, then deploy xMII (See Install & Config. Guide) and the Migration Tool into the NW system. Next copy the wwwroot and Lighthammer directories over to the NetWeaver machine from your xMII machine (If NetWeaver was installed on the same machine skip this step). Run the migration tool and move your content onto the NetWeaver platform. Begin using/developing your application.

Depending on how long you think those steps will take, probably less than a couple of months, you should upgrade. I highly recommend doing so before going live since there are some performance enhancements and additional capabilities that can help to improve your app.

Hope this helps.

Sam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, Sam. We're doing OK. Once we lost our main plant resource the metrics project lost a lot of steam but we're still getting metrics up on our staging server - it's just getting the plant to test them. It has given Hitesh and I a lot more time to pick up skills and get more of the infrastructure in place. The time hasn't been wasted! And xMII was brought up in a recent plant managers' meeting so we've gotten a number of other inquiries regarding potential projects.

One more thing - Linux. Netweaver runs on Linux but I saw a post that indicated that xMII isn't supported on every platform Netweaver is. Is xMII v12 supported on Linux? That would be our preference.

0 Kudos

Dave,

Shouldn't be a problem for v12 to run on Linux since the application is abstracted out from the OS and database by the NetWeaver platform. The only dependency for xMII and the Windows OS is with the UDS application since they will only work on Windows. This is typically not a problem because the shop floor systems that it connects to are Windows OS based as well.

Hope this helps to clarify.

Sam

Edited by: Salvatore Castro on Dec 21, 2007 11:38 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sam,

I assume you meant that it 'shouldn't be a problem for v12 to run on Linux' (you said ''shouldn't be a problem for v12 to run on Netweaver') (the rest of your comment implied v12 should run on Linux)

I've only got one UDS up and running (a PI data historian - a Win2K box). I put the PIUDS and Framework on the PI server. The 'UDS application since they will only work on Windows' shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks, Sam.

0 Kudos

Dave,

You are correct I guess I got a little ahead of myself there...I edited the post. Happy to help and Happy Holidays.

Sam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, Sam. I'll be in your area for the holidays. (Well, Wilmington, Delaware anyway) Have a happy and safe holiday!

David

Answers (0)