SAP for Higher Education and Research Discussions
Spark conversations about student engagement, research optimization, and administrative efficiency using SAP in higher education and research. Join in!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equivalency Determination

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have a scenario where more work is need to be added to a transcript that has already been evaluated and released into Academic Work. I can cancel the release, add the new work to the existing transcript but it will only be eveluated if you reset the original evaluation. However when that is done all links to internal work by the external work are lost. The issue is that the work that is not via an agreement is lost, thus having the end-user re-enter the modules that do not have a corresponding agreement.

Stan

5 REPLIES 5

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stan,

Do u mean to modify the existing external work ?

1.Doing a modification after release will cause problem yet you have an option to edit the existing academic work , the date of entry will be affected ....its just like a deleting with only having the activity document of changing it ..

2.Creating another work might not cause problem as the existing work and relationship is maintained .. However , before doing an external work release , its better to have a look with the existing transcripts .

It also depends how your maintaining the transcripts ...it varys according to the university

Regards

Gajalakshmi

0 Kudos

This is true, however my issue still remains. You can cancel the release which backs out the academic work for the student. The issue is you can not bring in the new work that was added to the transcript without destroying the work that was already "linked" by the agreement. This is not all that bad since all you need to do is a "re-link" and the work is associated with the internal work automatically. The real problem is the "one-time" association that the institution granted the student. This is also removed. The end-user will need to rekey it into the equivalency determination.

Am I looking at this wrong? How do other schools add work to a student that took work at another instituition and gets an updated transcript sent to the school they are now seeking a degree from? Here the current process is to add it to the existing transcript and do a re-evaluation. Should they be doing it differently. If so how do you do that, would you just add the new work from the transcript to a new entry in the student's master data as if it came on a transcript by itself?

0 Kudos

Hi Stanley ,

Equivalency determination is done for mainatining the High School marks if required , the subjects which is mapped to the internal academic work also.

Eg :

1. School marks will be maintained which is one - time go before joining the degree

2.If the students has done sujects which is equivalent to first year degree course , wanted to map the internal work - this will be maintained in the transcript and marks are determined

External work is maintanance of the previous work done by a student and it is not for changing frequently . If any subjects are needed to be added , just save it dont release it .

Once released , it can't be changed ......there will be problem in changing the data .....

Can you be bit clearer what you are trying to do.(scenario) ..... so it makes easy to further understand ?

Regards

Gajalakshmi

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK here is the scenario as I know it:

Student applies for admission to the university. However he has external work that was done at another university which they may or may not have an agreement with for the work. His work is entered in master data as a transcript and evaluated via Equivalency Determination. His work is released and is reflected in Academic Work.

He is accepted and goes for a year (fall - spring). During the summer he goes back to the same university he did previously and takes a course or two. Then when he returns in the fall to continue towards his degree, he has additional work to be added to his original transcript from the other university.

Now this could also be work that has a grade change and was entered on a transcript, evaluated and added to Academic History for the student a year ago so it is not only "new" work.

So the question is what is the process that needs to be done in order for the student to get the "new or changed" work equated and entered into his Academic Work. The way this university currently does it is by adding or changing the work on the original transcript and re-evaluating the whole transcript again. They need to release the work the first time since it has an impact on the students status starting out at the university, but they also need to add the additional or changed work and evaluate it. At the same time they do not want to destroy the first Equivalency data on the Transfer Articulation screen. This is very apparent if the transcripted work did not have an agreement and the evaluation was done manually since the only way I have found to back out the equated work from Academic History is to cancel the release in the Transfer Articulation functionality. Once you do that, it "erases" the equated work on the screen.

As I stated earlier it may be that we are looking at this process wrong and a different approach has to be done. If so please let me know. It would be interesting to know how other universities add additional work or change existing evaluated work.

0 Kudos

Hi Stanley,

Assuming to this ,

1) Student applies for admission, so u enter the marks and do a equvalency determination and reflects in academic work .

2) Student goes for a doing a course and continues the degree in the university and this need to be maintained the data in the external transcript .

A) When he applies for admission , maintain the transcript name as " XX" (Like High School = XX )

B) After taking a course , maintain a new transcript named as "YY" (Like Degree Transcrit = YY ) ,,,,one mor thing I want to add is when a student goes from the university to outside ,,,it is generally a "Exchange Program "

3) Having a different transcript may or may not suit ur university , its just a suggestion ....which can be done ..

4)The last option in worst case , is to edit the academic

work and change the grade better than deleting it.

Regards

Gajalakshmi K