Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some things I do not understand in MDM

former_member188973
Participant
0 Kudos

There are some things I do not unterstand in MDM:

1. What is the difference between a hierarchy and a taxonomie table?

- Which table type is used to create the category/hierarchy search view in catalog UI?

- How or in which table can I use the Number as lookup field?

2. Can I use different classifications - the number of the classification - (UNSPSC/eClass i.e) as lookup tables?

- If yes what kind of tabletype is it hierarchy or taxonomie?

3. I have a table i.e eclass type taxonomie in MDM with the fields (name, number, description) and a source with the fields number and description.

Source content: Number: 27000000, 27001000, 27001001, 27001002 ...

Decription: Electronics , Generators, Generator (<100MVa), Generator (>100MVa)...

In the Source table I create a hierarchy field. Where do I map the hierarchy field (crated) in target table?

Any help loading hierarchies, classifications and more are welcome.

Thanks

Roman

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roman,

I'd like to attempt your queries:

1) Taxonomy and Hirarchy:

Taxonomy table is a special kind of lookup table that provides support not only for a hierarchy of category and subcategory records, but also for category-specific attributes that can be assigned to each category on a category-by-category basis.

By convention MDM often refers to this table as the Categories table. Every product should belong to a category.

While Hirarchy table is a table which mentiones the parent-child [leaf-node] relationship,to make it clear, it has ascending or decendinglevel of nodes/leaves BUT WITH COMMON CHARACTERICTICS...

I'd like to share this example:

Chairman

> Vice President

>> Head of Dept

>>> Developer

>>>> Associate

can be said Hirarchy

Chairman

> Vice president -dept 1

>> Head of Dept 1

>> Head of dept 2 (same person with added attribute i.e another dept)

> Vice president-dept 2

>> HoD -1 (with some duties/attributes)

>> HoD -2 (same person with more anotehr added duties/attibutes)

This can be said example of Taxonomy since at one level itself (here, at VP level) the node is added attributes with diferent characterictic and specification..

EVERY TAXONOMY IS HIRARCHY BUT EVERY HIRARCHY IS NOT TAXONOMY.

Hope it will suffice to hint you about the difference of the two.

Best regards,

Krutarth

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roman,

Regarding your 3rd query:

Before that i'd like to add a bit that MDM supports hierarchical, parent/child relationships among records with a special hierarchy table type and with lookup fields into the hierarchy table. By contrast, a typical relational DBMS does not offer native support for representing these hierarchical relationships.

As a result, importing hierarchy values into MDM encounters a variety of challenges that depend upon the various ways the hierarchy values are represented in the source data.

This URL provides in formation in detail about your query [http://help.sap.com/saphelp_mdm550/helpdata/en/43/c2265b5ac929bbe10000000a11466f/content.htm]

Secondly,here generators itself are having added attributes @ the same node level [i.e at generator level as u said <100 MVa and >100 MVa] so it becomes Taxonomy since added attribute(s) are at same node level.

regards,

Krutarth