Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDES: install locally vs. hosting

huangnic
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

Our department want to have a IDES system of our own to do some evaluation. I went to service.sap.com/ides for information and find there are two ways to get it: local installation and sap hosting. But can't find further information. Could anybody provide detailed pros and cons of these two approach?

Thanks in advance!

Nick

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

this is a company specific decision - it depends what you want to do with the system, what´s your general policy (centralized/decentralized) etc.

Markus

huangnic
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Thanks for the reply. Our department is working on the HCM and Industry Business Solution development. We are going to use the IDES system for testing and training.

I think the most important features we require are:

1. We can transport changes to IDES from our develop system.

2. We can reset the system to initial status easily.

Another question is whether it is possible to apply support packages to IDES system? Will the SAP hosting system update for new support packages?

Your answer is appreciated!

Nick

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Out of my experience, the best test- and training systems are the ones with the own data. Depending on the users it may be pretty difficult to transfer the learned things from the IDES system to the real data.

The IDES system is fully customized, if you transport your own customizing into it, it may or may not work since the customizing may not fit any more to the configured data. IDES is to be considered "as is".

What I could imagine for you would be a copy of your test/production system as "training" system, you have YOUR customizing, you have YOUR data in it and after the training people will feel fine with the production.

To accomplish the "setting back" there are quite a few ways to do it (e.g.database snapshots etc.) - however, the system will be reset completely, this also includes customizing transports, that have been transported.

Markus

huangnic
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Thanks for the prompt and extremely useful answer. Just one more question to fulfill my "greediness". 🐵

If we choose the SAP hosting IDES system, can we as for "setting back" at any time? Will there be extra cost if it is possible?

Nick

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don´t know... I would ask them...

Markus

Answers (0)