cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swapping of Application server between two system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

We have a specific requirement. We have to swap the application server between two SAP system. One is Production system Application server and the other is Test System Application server. Both the application server is having HP-UX operating system.

Production System Application server host is hostprd1

Test System Application server host is hosttst1

Now Production system should shift the application server to host hosttst1 and the Test system should shift the application server to hostprd1.

I need help like what could be the best method to do this changes. What precaution need to be taken from SAP Basis point-of-view? What about the host name, ip address, file system, nfs mount point ?

Any help will be higly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Basis CK.

Edited by: Basis CK on Dec 18, 2007 9:40 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The fastest (and safest) way would be to rename the machines, reboot them and re-install the dialog instance.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Is there any other option other than installing the DIAlog instance ? What if we take backup of entire filesystem and get it restored on another server ? is that way we can do it ? Because we have all the profile and other settings already done. If we install dialog instance, we need to adjust all the profiles and start and stop sap script ? not sure ?

Thanks

Best Regards,

Chetan Khatri

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Of course it´s possible to copy them over using a backup. You must make sure though, that you copy/restore all links properly.

Another way would be to install the instances and just restore the profiles.

You could also rename the instances and adapt the profiles and .dbenv_/.sapenv_<hostname>. scripts manually and reconfigure the Oracle client to point to the other database server.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

If I have to give information of all Filesystem which need to copy and restore, what filesystem I should include in the list ? I have following list created:

/oracle/<SID/

/oracle/<SID/920_64/

/oracle/<SID>/sapbackup

/oracle/<SID>/saparchive

/oracle/<SID>/sapcheck

/oracle/<SID>/saptrace

/oracle/<SID>/sapdata*

/usr/sap/<SID>

/usr/sap/<SID>/<INSTANCE>/work

/usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/exe/run

/usr/sap/<SID>/<INSTANCE>

/sapmnt/<SID>/profile

/sapmnt/<SID>/global

/usr/sap/trans

/home/<sidadm>

Other than this, anything required more in FileSystem list?

also when we copy and restore filesystem, we need to take care of .profile & .cshrc to incorporate SAP environment ?

Also we need to take care of the SAPLicense as the hardware id will get changed?

Thanks

Best Regards,

Basis CK

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

One question: are you really swapping "application servers" or are you swapping the database servers too? I just wonder because a plain application server doesn´t have a full blown $ORACLE_HOME...

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

I am just swapping the Applicatiton servers. Database servers wil not be changed. Again the swaping is cross, Prd applicaiton server will shift to test application server and test application server will move to prod application server.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Basis CK ,

Could you please explain your current enviourment.

Like if you are using cluster in your enviourment or not.

Or any other shared storage enviorment.

Please pvovide the infomation so that i can give you any idea about this.

Thanks and Regards,

Kamal Kishore

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kamal,

Thanks for the comment. We are not using the cluster. We have two different application host server. One server is used for Test system and one server is used for production.

~

Requirement is that we need to swap the server. The server which is used for Test System Application instance is more powerful and under maintenance contract. So we need to use that for Production system application instance. The Production system application server is not under waranty so we want to use that for Test system application instance. So it is kind of SWAP.

~

I want to use method of copying file system backup and restore it. But not sure what points need to be taken into consideration to do that.

~

Appreciate your help on this regards.

Thanks

With Regards

Basis CK