cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error in Backup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I am getting error in backup. Error message is as mentioned below.

BR0202I Saving /oracle/BC1/sapreorg/sr3.data2.Z

BR0203I to /dev/rmt/1mn ...

BR0278E Command output of 'LANG=C cd /oracle/BC1/sapreorg && echo sr3.data2.Z | /usr/sap/BC1/SYS/exe/run/brtools -f detach LANG=C cpio -ovB > /dev/rmt/1mn':

(Using tape drive with immediate report mode enabled (reel #1).)

write failed: I/O error

Can't open /dev/tty.

BR0280I BRBACKUP time stamp: 2007-12-18 06.10.46

BR0279E Return code from 'LANG=C cd /oracle/BC1/sapreorg && echo sr3.data2.Z | /usr/sap/BC1/SYS/exe/run/brtools -f detach LANG=C cpio -ovB > /dev/rmt/1mn': 2

BR0222E Copying /oracle/BC1/sapreorg/sr3.data2.Z to/from /dev/rmt/1mn failed due to previous errors

BR0115I Compression rate for all files 3.7287:1

Please help

Regards,

Ranjith

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

With respect to the error

write failed: I/O error

There is defintely problem with your backup device. The device may be corrupt, so change and try the backup again...

With regards

Sudha

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sudhakaran,

My problem is solved. I actually cleaned the tape drive using the cleaning media, and the BRBACKUP started working perfectly.

Thanks & Regards,

Senthil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Senthil

For this Issue you have to set the following if the OS is AIX

Set the tape block size = 0 (variable value) with smitty devices -->tape device -> show/change characteristics of tape drive .

If in other OS please check whether the tape block size is mention as 0 and then fire the backup u will succeed...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ranjith,

Please us the following steps to resolve the backup issue.

chown -R ora<SID>:groupID /dev/st

chmod -R 777 /dev/st

su - ora<SID>

cd sapbackup

ls -lrth

find the brlow containts via grep command.

brbackup -i force -v SIDB01 –c

Than run the command by increasing the value by one

brbackup -i force -v SIDB02 –c

Now run the backup from brtools

Thanks and Regards,

Kamal Kishore

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sentil

Adjust the tape size specified via parameter "tape_size" in file "init<SID>.sap " to the actual physical value and then brarchive will request a tape change before cpio runs afoul of of the EOT.

Your backup fails because brarchive still thinks there's space left, but cpio terminates once it reaches the End Of Tape and at that time its to late for brarchive to intervene.

I think you should also re-calculate the compression rate for the tapes with brbackup -k only see http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/1f/db3226af7d3a45bae174fbd41054fe/frameset.htm

Regards,

Gokul B

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please check the tape size given in init<sid> file, correct it and then reinitialize the backup.

If with the above is not working, try to take backup with DD instead of CPIO.

mark the answer if useful.

Thanx/gopal