cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BAM - XI Vs Webmethods

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would like to know the efficiency of Webmethods over XI or vice versa from the viewpoint of BAM...

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

GabrielSagaya
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SAP Business Connector (a.k.a. webM)

- Point-to-point connectivity

• Messaging, mapping, routing

• Free download from SAP Service Marketplace

• Relatively small footprint

• webMethods adapters for non-SAP integration

• MarketSet Connector based on Business Connector

• XML-enabling of existing SAP systems

SAP Exchange Infrastructure (a.k.a. SAP XI)

- Central hub for intra/inter-enterprise integration

• Messaging, mapping, routing, business scenarios, business processes

• Included in SAP solutions or licensed separately

• Runs on SAP Web Application Server

• Eco-system of partners providing adapters and content (including also webMethods)

• Messaging adapter for connection to MarketSet environments

• Leverages native XML capabilities of Web Application Server

Both are XML-based

- Coexistence and integration of both will be possible

So, then why are the two still in existence? Mainly because difference customers have difference timetables for their businesses. Customers looking for a quick implementation of a point-to-point scenario in the short term can still use the Business Connector. BUT, customers looking for a strategic integration solution for the complete application landscape should consider the Exchange Infrastructure.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

aashish_sinha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

This is really a great question. Actually i started working on webmethods 3 and half year back it was really a great tool becoz XI was not that hot as webmethods that time but now its future of EAI. As all of you know SAP BC was a product of SAP and Webmethods. Later they parted the way and here came the sap xi.

While working with Webmethods, all configuration and backup , restart and monitoring ,transporting defining routing rules, trading networks everything was pretty simple.and yes communication was pretty fast and ya that was the motto of EAI tool ie Rapid Development Tool , before i get into XI , i thought that only. But only drawback was that when you send big XML data using SOAP format lets say 2 MB deta it got stuck in server and sometime we use to restart the server to process it. ie (Creating purchase order or other queries in SAP and get the response , generating IDOCs etc etc you know all these.). that was the main drawback i thought of.

In Comparision with XI, Xi is pretty robust , but ya configuration and other routing activities is pathatic n time consuming but it has its own benefits and robustness. After working with XI, it seems easy. but ya i miss faster configuration and other things which was provided by webMethods. Both of them are unique in their own way. XI provides lots and lots of new things and its really upcoming n roaring to become No 1 in EAI field.

I hope this will clear you in some extend.

Regards

Aashish Sinha

PS : reward points if helpful

Edited by: Aashish Sinha on Dec 18, 2007 8:34 AM