cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RFC communication channels get stuck when the JAVA is restarted

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi dudes,

In my landscape, a backup is done every sunday. I realized that all the RFC communication channels get stuck just after the Java stack is restarted, showing an error like:

"....SAP gateway failed....."

However if i test the RFC dest, it works!!!

so i have to deactivate & activate them and everything works again.

Could you please tell me why this is happening and if there is a solution to this (or a workaround)??

Thanx in advance

Best regards,

David

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

0 Kudos

Hi all,

we are facing the same issue (SAP XI 7.0). The reason is due to backup times as described above.

I know this is a rather old post, but was/is there a generic/smart solution to this issue?

Thx!

Regards,

Holger

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

Please take a look at note: 730870 and question 25:

Q 25: A RFC sender channel is registered at a SAP Gateway which is shutdown. Does the RFC sender channel automatically reconnect to the SAP Gateway after it is available again?

A: The SAP Gateway is shutdown due to e.g. offline backup of the R/3 database while a RFC-Adapter sender channel is registering at this SAP Gateway. After restarting the SAP Gateway, the RFC sender channel does not seem to automatically perform a reconnect.

Actually the RFC sender channel will try to reconnect to the SAP Gateway. If this reconnect fails, the next reconnect attempt is made after a waiting period of 1 second. If the next reconnect fails also, the waiting period is doubled and so on. This will lead to a reconnect timing of 1, 2, 4, 8, ..., 3600 seconds. Saving recources is the aim of this technique.

If not configured, the maximum waiting time is defined in the middleware layer of SAP JCO, which is 3600 seconds. But this maximum time can be configured for each RFC sender channel in the XI Integration Directory. Open the Advanced Mode for the RFC Server Parameter.

• Before SP 12: Add a line to the table and use 'jco.server.max_startup_delay' as name and the maximum number of seconds to wait between reconnect attempts as value.

• Since SP 12: Enter the maximum number of seconds to wait between reconnect attempts in the field Maximum Reconnect Delay.

Kind Regards,

Frank

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

Sorry I missed Receiver Channel. The post above is about Sender Channel.

Kind Regards,

Frank

iprieto
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi David,

Try to restart CPACache after you do the backup.

What is the version of your SAP XI/PI installation?

Regards

Ivá

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ivan,

I think we were working at the same project (ACN).

Version: SAP XI 3.0 sp20

Creo que coincidimos en Diageo, espero que todo vaya muy bien y da recuerdos a Encinas....

Un saludo, Regards

DAvid

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

I have realized that the Java restart does not provoke this error but the weekly backup process.

consequently, all my RFC receiver channels get stuck just after the backup (that is done every sunday)

this is the error message thrown by the CCs:

Message processing failed. Cause: com.sap.aii.af.ra.ms.api.RecoverableException: RfcAdapter: receiver channel has static errors: can not instantiate RfcPool caused by: com.sap.aii.af.rfc.RfcAdapterException: error initializing RfcClientPool:com.sap.aii.af.rfc.core.repository.RfcRepositoryException: can not connect to destination system due to: com.sap.mw.jco.JCO$Exception: (102) RFC_ERROR_COMMUNICATION: Connect to SAP gateway failed Connect_PM TYPE=A ASHOST=esbasbdr3d01 SYSNR=05 GWHOST=esbasbdr3d01 GWSERV=sapgw05 PCS=1 LOCATION CPIC (TCP/IP) on local host with Unicode ERROR partner not reached (host esbasbdr3d01, service sapgw05) TIME Sun Jan 13 02:19:12 2008 RELEASE 640 COMPONENT NI (network interface) VERSION 37 RC -10 MODULE nixxi_r_mt.cpp LINE 8724 DETAIL NiPConnect2 SYSTEM CALL SiPeekPendConn ERRNO 146 ERRNO TEXT Connection refused COUNTER 5 : com.sap.aii.af.rfc.afcommunication.RfcAFWException:

Does anybody know how i can avoid this?

Best regards,

david

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Maybe try to register it on different gateway.

/wg

former_member193518
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi David,

We get the same problem.

Our XI systems communicates with an R/3 4.7 system.

The R/3 and XI system go down for backup at the same time.

It seems that if the R/3 system is not up and running when the XI system comes back up (most of the time) then the receiver channels get stuck.

The only way to fix this so far, is to ensure that XI completes it's backup AFTER R/3 is up and running.

Hope this helps.

Darryl

former_member240483
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi there,

i do have the problem like this ...mine was because of source system not available when they up the xi after backup ..in that stage channel just stops and gives the error..after that monday we have to restrat the CC..

regards

Rao

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Darryl,

Your input sounds good.

I will communicate with Basis team and let them know about that.

I will update if this is is the final solution.

Thanks a lot and kind regards,

david

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

Please check the following points:

For Sender RFCcommunication channel:

The RFC-Sender adapter registers itself with program ID on the SAP gateway.It has to match case-sensitive with the corresponding entry in the saprfc.inifile if used by the client program.

1. Please check if you have defined the correct Program ID for the RFC communication channel under the feild 'RFC server parameter'. Once you have activated your communication channel the RFCAdapter registers with the specified Program-ID on the SAP Gateway

and waits for a request/call from the non-SAP client.

2. Then check the adapter or communication channel monitoring if the communication channel is activated without any error.

3.For central SAP gateway you can also check with transaction “SMGW” => “Goto” => “Logged On Clients” if the RFC-adapter is registered at the SAP-gateway with the given Program-ID.

4.The System type for the communication channel is “REGISTER_TP” and the value of the Program-ID is displayed under “TP Name”. Double Clicking on the record gives you detailed information on the registration.(Client attributes).

For Receiver RFCcommunication channel:

The RFCReceiver- adapter uses the PROGID while establishing a connection to the server. It has to match case-sensitive with the corresponding entry in the

saprfc.ini-file if used by the server program.

1. Check the configuration of the RFCserver program to register on the

SAP gateway instance.This can be done in different ways, depending on the program. In

general for registration of a RFC-server the parameters

PROGID, gateway-host and gateway-service have to be

specified.

2. Using the RFC-SDK you can do so by defining these parameters within

the saprfc.ini-file or by use of the appropriate parameters in function

“RfcAccept”.

3. If you use the saprfc.ini-file, the respective destination has to be of

type “R”!.

4. All the parameter values used within the saprfc.ini-file or with RfcAccept

have to match with the corresponding entries in the receiver communication channel.

5.For central SAP gateway you can also check with transaction“SMGW” => “Goto” => “Logged On Clients” if the RFC-server is registered at the SAP-gateway with the given Program-ID.

6.The System type for the communication channel is “REGISTER_TP” and the value of

the Program-ID is displayed under “TP Name”.Double Clicking on the record gives you detailed information on the registration. (Client attributes).

Also follow the link for SAP Gateway :

http://e-docs.bea.com/wladapters/docs91/55011/sap_user_bea.pdf

*Pls: Reward points if helpful*

Regards,

Jyoti

Edited by: Jyoti Acharya on Dec 17, 2007 2:32 PM