cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

production and database

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi gurus

iam confused pls tell me what is the difference between production and database server. or both are same. because all customizations and configurations are trasported to production server, later will be done golive. but one of my freinds that database server contains customizations and master records which is nothing but production server. so consultants point of view it is production server and enduser point of view it is database server. pls clarify the link clearly between dev,qual and prod ; database, application and presentation

will reward

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member335292
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna Prasad,

Presentation Layer - This is what SAP GUI is all about..ie.SAP Easy Access is called the Presentation Layer

Application Layer - This is the SAP server(wherein DEV,QUAL and PRD) will come into picture..This is interlinked with SAP Easy Access for the Business users only to fetch the data to the end user in the desired format whereas the configuration/changes ideally happen here.

Database Layer - This is your backend database which may be Oracle or SQL server based on the volume of the data(Like all the data needs to be stored in the form of individual fields in different tables based on the functionality)

Hope it helps.

Rgds,

Aram K.

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks aram u only understood my question or doubt. i have awarded u points. so i want to know DEV,QUAL AND PROD are part of apllication server. isnt it? or application server is linked with prod server or all servers like dev,qual and prod later transported from prod to application server.

another doubt is we have data in database server which consists of oracle etc. through that every thing happens. but in DEV, QUAL we testing after configuration in each server. so even in DEV AND QUAL also we maintain data for testing purposes means oracle will be loaded in each server?

i think u understood my doubt? bcz no faculty is able to clarify my doubt. pls clarify

will reward

former_member335292
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

Be it DEV,QUAL or PRD systems,all the details in the system should be stored in the form of fields and they in turn are store in tables like MARA,MVKE,MARC,VBRK,VBRP,VBAK,VBAP etc which are stored in the database only.For the same purpose the ORACLE or SQL database is used.

These tables which are in the database are often referred to whenever you want details about a material,customer or for that matter any reports.

Hope it helps,

Rgds,

Aram K.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As ou may be already aware, R3 is a 3 tier system. (1)Data base layer (2) Application layer (3) Presentation layer.

Customization is done in the application layer. Datbase layer is the repository of all data. Prseentation layer is where your GUI resides.

Muraleedharan.R

091 9880028904

Former Member
0 Kudos

Development client: is the one where you do all the configurations and customizations.

Test/Quality Client: You transfer the configurations from development to this client and then test them to check whether they are functioning as desired.

Production client: Once you test the configurations and find them OK, you transport them to production. This client is the one where the users do all the live transactions and postings.

Reward, if helpful

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

noopur my question is different. iknow what is dev,qual and prod. what is the link between (dev,qual and prod) and (database, application and presentation).