cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM and virtualization

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

for different projects I need different patch versions of MDM running on one laptop. So far I never used virtualization however read in this forum that it is possible. Does anyone have any experience with that? I downloaded a trial of Altiris SVS, but I didn't really figure it out. Does it anyway work with software virtualization (thinstall, Altiris) or do I have to use OS virtualization like VMWare?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Best regards

Christian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member278106
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

You may use VM for MDM unless it is a production system. This is mentioned in the MDM Sizing Guide (section 3.5) and in the SAP Note 1070760: "MDM can run on the VM based on hardware isolation without performance overheads; running MDM on the VM based on OS virtualization will cause a performance overhead and is not recommended for productive environments. Running MDM on the VM based on virtualization on the Application level is not supported."

Best regards,

Lev

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

Inorfer to make the term VIRTULIZATION clear:

Virtualization is a broad term that refers to the abstraction of computer resources. One useful definition is "a technique for hiding the physical characteristics of computing resources from the way in which other systems, applications, or end users interact with those resources.

in MDM this includes

a) making a single physical resource (such as a server, an operating system, an application, or storage device) appear to function as multiple logical resources;

b) or it can include making multiple physical resources (such as storage devices or servers)

The traditional model for deploying SAP MDM has been to use one or more stand-alone computer systems, each of which runs a single operating system. As the power and capacity of individual hard– processing cores, network interfaces, and mass storage peripherals – has increased, the actual utilization of these hardware components has, in many cases, decreased. An immediate result of this combination is the desire to consolidate more than one software application or workload on the physical server. This practice is generally referred to as

hardware consolidation. To address this desire for efficiency, HP provides a broad spectrum of hardware partitioning and sharing technologies. Grouping hardware components of a physical computing configuration into subsystems or partitions is one approach to hardware consolidation.

Because these partitions contain entire hardware

components, they provide dedicated access to those components. Providing a means of sharing hardware components within a physical server or partition can be

performed in many different ways.

Finally,this partition can be done in several ways and you can find more information about it in the pdf available at [this URL|http://docs.hp.com/en/10015/SAP+VSE1.1.pdf]

[http://www.gcn.com/blogs/tech/40201.html]

I hope it will sufice to hint you about MDM and Virtulization.

Best Regards,

Krutarth