Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

coding mask problem

former_member845166
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am facing the problem in coding mask.

I have existing project coding mask let say abcd :000/0/0/00 like this. here i am using project id of 4 char and remaing 20 for coding.

i will like to use project id as abc and remain 21char for coding but

system is not allowing me to create new error says abc already present.

then i tried with different char like xyz but still it is restricting me to use 20 digit only in coding mask

what is problem ? how can we solve it

regards

shiv

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

bettassoci
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Shivshankar,

Martina is correct, you only have 24 total characters to work with, and you have apparently allocated 4 to the projed.

I would urge you to NOT use 4 positions in the projid. That many positions will negatively affect performance, as a general rule.

If you reduce the prjid from 4 to 2 or better to 1, you free up an additional 3 characters for use in the overall mask. See IMG transaction OPSK, field = PL.

Also, I have seen consultants spend months trying to determine what the project masks should be....don't fall into this trap. It is not that complicated.

Maybe you are supporting a system and have no choice. If true, I would suggest you initiate a project to review the effectiveness of the existing project mask, and begin to simplify.

Regards,

Kent

"If you're not Learning, you're not Living!"

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

virendra_pal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

check txn opsk field PL

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shiv,

The maximum lenght is limited to 24 characters. This will include the characters in the ID as you know.

But the system will consider as number of characters in the ID not the ones you actually enter, but the ones set in OPSK in field PL as pointed out by Virendra.

So I guess you have a value of 4 is OPSK. This leaves just 20 more characters for the rest of the mask regardless of the fact that you are using an ID with just 3 characters.

I hope this will explain.

Best regards

Martina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Martina,

I have one doubt.Suppose we configure Length of coding key= 1, define a coding mask A-0000 and create a operative project A-0001. Then sytem doesnot allow us to change the length as operative project exists. Now if we have had length 2 earlier (instead of 1) then system will allow us to change the length to 1,3,4 or 5. If we change the length to 3,4,5 we can go back to length 2/1 later. But if we change length to 1 then our existing project will get assigned to existing coding mask and system will not allow to change the length later on.

Does this mean that, though we have 1 to 5 options for coding key length, once we have selected a particular length and have coding mask of that particular length, create a operative project with that mask, then we cant change the length of coding key? In short we need to decide the length only for once, at the start of implementation and cant change it once we have operative projects. Or you know any method to go back to earlier key length in case opeartive projects exist?

Request you to please comment.

Regards

former_member845166
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thanks for resolving the query.

I the project length is defined as 4 in opsk.

so only 20 digit i can use for coding and we can not change the project id length in opsk as operative projects are available in the sytem.

Regards

Shiv

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You need to create new project ID (Say XYZ in your case) followed by 21 coding mask (Say XX etc).

Once the project ID is created the same details can't be used for creating new project number.

Hope this will help you.

Regards,

Rakesh Pradhan

former_member845166
Active Participant
0 Kudos

hi,

I tried to use 21 charecter but system is not allowing to save it.

if i use 20 char then i am able to save it.

so my quiz is here my id is of 3 char then sap should allow me to create the coding for 21 digit. but it is not happenig

Regards

Shiv