cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFS and FTP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

am new to xi,am trying to send afile.am little bit confused when ftp is used and when nfs is used?could any one please explain?

Thanks and Regards,

Somu

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You will use FTP when you have to pick the file form any remote or local location, but NFS is used only for picking the file from application server (XI). In most of the cases NFS is used for a quick testing coz for this you don't need any user id or password but at the same time it is required in case of FTP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

thanks for ur response.

if my server is at remote location,and am working at my workplace.what sud i use whether NFS or FTP.

Regards,

Somu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It depends. If you have access to the folder structure of your server, you can access NFS. Because you will have to place the file in the server for NFS. Otherwise you can use FTP.

BTW, your name is So mu or Keerthi?

Regards,

Divija.

(Reward points if helpful)

Former Member
0 Kudos

It doesn't matter wheter your server is at local or remote location, the main thing is from where to pic the file. The word remote does not matter in case of application server to use NFS so you can use NFS either your server is at local or remote location. You will use FTP when you are picking the file from third party. As i Mentioned that NFS is used for testing purpose in most of the cases (but depending upon the situations it can be used of end-to-end tesing too) but in most of the cases we use FTP.

Regards,

Sarvesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Simple..

If my file is placed in the OS where XI is installed then I use NFS

If it is placed on other host i.e. FTP server then go for FTP protocol

THanks

Farooq.

santhosh_kumarv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>>my server is at remote location,and am working at my workplace

If you are posting your file in the XI server use NFS.

To post the file in XI server you need to open the folder of your XI server from the remote machine.To do this Go to Run command and type
<XI Server IP Address>.

Alternate workaround would be to configure an FTP server in your local machine and design your scenario using the FTP protocol. Look at the Blog in my previous post to configure the FTp server,

Regards

San

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Somu,

<b>Network File System (NFS)</b> :

NFS allows a computer access to a file system that resides on another computer’s disks, as though the file system were mounted locally, which means that the XI system can use its own local file system to access the directory in which the file is to be created.

NFS server is the computer to which the disk is physically attached; computers that use the file system remotely are called NFS clients. Before NFS clients can mount (import) a file system that resides on the NFS server’s disks, the NFS server must export it.

<b>File Transfer Protocol (FTP)</b>:

This is an alternative to the NFS is the FTP, which allows access to file systems of remote computers. If you select FTP, you can specify the server and user data to log on to a remote FTP server.

*Pls: Reward points if helpful*

Regards,

Jyoti

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

NFS::: is used to Pick the files from your Application server/XI Server.

FTP::: is used to Pick and Poll the file from FTP Server Location.

Regards

Seshagiri

santhosh_kumarv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

NFS protocol is used when we are required to poll the files from local machines/XI Server.

FTP protocol is when we are required to poll the file from the FTP server, which are in the remote side or outside of the firewall.

If you want to configura an FTP server have a look at this Blog

<a href="/people/shabarish.vijayakumar/blog/2006/08/01/along-came-a-file-adapter-mr-ftp-and-rest-of-the-gang came a File Adapter, Mr. 'FTP' and Rest of the Gang</a> By Shabarish Vijayakumar

More Info Abt FTP in the Blog <a href="/people/krishna.moorthyp/blog/2007/07/31/sftp-vs-ftps-in-sap-pi vs. FTPS in SAP PI</a> By Krishna Moorthy

Regards

San

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

NFS is used when you are going to place your file in the Server.

FTP is used when you have a separate FTP server where you will be placing your files.

Regards,

Divija.

Former Member
0 Kudos

See these links:

Regards,

Divija.