cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP cannot Startup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I could not startup SAP running on Oracle. My question is does use of listener port matter when starting SAP instance? What ports must be used to startup SAP? Does SAP rely on oracle listener port to startup or just oracle instance depends on it to startup itself? Must it be one and not the other? I have restored a MS-clustered SAP instance onto a separate machine without clustering i.e. standalone instance.

How is tnsnames.ora and listener.ora used and must the port number be set in windows services file?

Regards

Ernesta

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check the developer trace for work processes. To get help please provide more details of the symptoms.

Cheers,

Sanjeev

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here's the corresponding Listener.ora file:

1. LISTENER.ORA Network Configuration File: /oracle/QE1/817_64/network/admin/listener.ora

2. Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

STARTUP_WAIT_TIME_LISTENER = 0

LISTENER =

(DESCRIPTION_LIST =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS_LIST =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC))

)

(ADDRESS_LIST =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = hostname002)(PORT = 1521))

)

)

(DESCRIPTION =

(PROTOCOL_STACK =

(PRESENTATION = GIOP)

(SESSION = RAW)

)

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = hostname002)(PORT = 2481))

)

)

CONNECT_TIMEOUT_LISTENER = 10

SID_LIST_LISTENER =

(SID_LIST =

(SID_DESC =

(GLOBAL_DBNAME = QE1)

(ORACLE_HOME = /oracle/QE1/817_64)

(SID_NAME = QE1)

)

(SID_DESC =

(SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)

(ORACLE_HOME = /oracle/QE1/817_64)

(PROGRAM = extproc)

)

)

TRACE_LEVEL_LISTENER = OFF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ernesta,

I think you are focusing on the Oracle instance prematurely, with no errors pointing to that. In my experience, once Oracle sets up the TNSNAMES and Listener, you do not need to change them, unless you are adding more Oracle DB's onto this system.

If you want to verify that the listener is up and running, log in as ora<sid>, and run "lsnrctl status"

to start: "lsnrctl start"

to stop: "lsnrctl stop"

Make certain it is running, and you should be fine, if you haven't changed the configuration since the system was installed.

Take a look at the sapstart.log file in the <SID>adm home directory, and there should be an error therein.

Other than that, check the Work directory at:

/usr/sap/<SID>/DVEBMGS00/work

and sort the files by time last created (ls -al) and read through the first 6 or so. This should give you a really good idea of what is causing you the trouble. Again, though, the SAPSTART.LOG file should tell you this explicitly, so start there. If you are uncertain what the messages mean, re-post them here, so that we can help to decipher them.

Cheers,

Troy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Troy.

Any idea is it a must that ports 1527 and 1521 both appear in the same listener.ora? I'm using only 1 database instance.

Also, is it a must to indicate IPC protocol to start Oracle / SAP instance?

Regards,

Ernesta

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ernesta,

I need to repeat: PLEASE cut + Paste your sapstart.log into this forum. Without it, there's no way to know what the problem is.

Just in case though...in Oracle I've seen it use both ports for it's communication. Here is a sample tnsnames.ora from one of my old SAP systems on Oracle named QE1:

1. TNSNAMES.ORA Network Configuration File: /oracle/QE1/817_64/network/admin/tnsnames.ora

2. Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

QE1_HTTP.WORLD =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS_LIST =

)

(CONNECT_DATA =

(SERVER = SHARED)

(SERVICE_NAME = QE1)

(PRESENTATION = http://admin)

)

)

QE1.WORLD =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS_LIST =

)

(CONNECT_DATA =

(SERVICE_NAME = QE1)

)

)

EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA.WORLD =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS_LIST =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC))

)

(CONNECT_DATA =

(SID = PLSExtProc)

(PRESENTATION = RO)

)

)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please check the trace files in the work directory , moreover the SAP uses port 1527 by default but you shouldn't worried about the port in this issue I think. SAP will not start for many reason's please provide more details.

thx,

Balki

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Gurus,

For Listerner file, does SAP need IPC to startup as in:

(PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC0) ?

And what is the purpose of the lines (ABC appears 2 times, 1 with 'WORLD', the other without :

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS =

(PROTOCOL = IPC)

(KEY = ABC.WORLD)

)

)

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS =

(PROTOCOL = IPC)

(KEY = ABC)

• where ABC = SID of R/3 or Database.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ernesta,

No, your Windows Services file does not need the Oracle listener Port. You must, however, have the Oracle listener up and running while you run the startsap script. Otherwise you will get a message that says "R3trans cannot connect to the database."

Take a look at your startsap.log file, and reply here with the error that you have found there.

Troy