cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drill Drop functionality in VC

Former Member
0 Kudos

hey guys m stuck at a pt. i need to have drill drop function in VC .. is it possibe ??HOW??

what m tryin to do is display directly the graphs in the 'management cockpit'..all that is done ..the graphs r being displayed bt now i want that when u double click on the graph the corresponding report should open up... many ppl say that this is not possible .. well if u can then please help me its pretty urgent.... thanx in adv.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anshul,

what do you mean by drill drop functionality? Maybe you could be a little specific abt ur requirement. For displaying reports (assuming in tabular form), you could trigger the select event from the chart to trigger a call to ur query/bapi and then display the report. let us know if you had something else in mind.

prachi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Prachi,

Well thanx fr replyin.What i mean by 'Drill Drop' functionality is that when u double click on the graph in the 'management cockpit' then the corresponding report should open up .hope now u ca help me better.

Message was edited by:

Anshul Bhat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Try adding the data source two times to the model. From the output port of the first source drag a link to the bar chart. Then from the output port of the bar chart drag a new line to the input port of the second data source and from this you can connect to the table.

Send the values you need from the bar chart to the data source (row id, or such) so you can return the details needed to display the details in the table.

The table you can make visible or not with visibility conditions, if you like.

Henning

Former Member
0 Kudos

hey Hening thnx for ur reply but the prob is not slved yet....y r v taking 2 data sources....and how to send the values from the chart to the data source..... plz help..

Regards

Anshul

Former Member
0 Kudos

You have to use a select command for the event name between the chart and the input port of the data source.

Simply write "select" in the field for event name.

And then of course map the relevant sent fields from the chart to the input fields of your data source.

All of this is done in the config you find when clicking the line between the chart and the data source.

Henning

Message was edited by:

Henning Strand

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes i have done that but still there s no output in da table ...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Try *select. See also my updated answer above.

I am looking at a model that works perfectly and does exactly what you want. The data source is a BI (SQL) query to an Oracle DB table where I am displaying a chart using a single data series. Then this is mapped with a select event to a new query returning data to a form.

Henning

Former Member
0 Kudos

i am not getting how to map the fields .....when i click on the 'select' line , in the input fields i am getting the 'characteristics' and in the assigned value when i drill down m getting the key figures and i have no idea how to map them....

Former Member
0 Kudos

When you click the "fx" within the fields in the "assigned value" column you should see the field names available from the chart.

When I click the select line from the chart I see several fields: YEAR, PERIOD, PROD_PLANT, COMPANY. When the chart is mapped to a duplicate of the same data source as used for sending data to the chart, the same fields are available to me in the assigned value column like this: @YEAR, @PERIOD, and so on. These are then mapped alike to alike.

By clicking each bar in the bar chart i then get the relevant details for the chosen period.

Henning

Former Member
0 Kudos

If this still doesn't work I would have split the two queries up to test that you actually get values into both the chart and the table separately using two start points. Then, when you do, be sure to map the same values to the second data source when sending these from the chart as you send in from the start point.

Henning

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Henning

Well thanx for al the replies that u hav given so far.....(awarded points)..

But the problem is stl thr.....in the chart that i hav made, i hav selected PLANR_GRP in the category field and in the input field for the 'SELECT' line i am getting PLANR_GRP n i the corrs. assigned value field m getting @PLANR_GRP but what abt the other values that i want in the table.....

Ok here is what m actually doing... i am drawing a column chart where i m showing the Actual amount and the Planned amount for the different PLANR_GRPs and i want that in the table also i should get the actual and the planned amount...i have selected PLANR_GRP in the category axis and actual and planned amount i m showing in the data series and in the formula part there m writing @Actual amount for actual and @Planned amount for the planned....Hope now u have a clearer view of what m doin and hope now u can help me better ....

Regards

Anshul Bhat

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK. I might have an idea what the problem is.

Click on the output port of the data source leading to your chart. Are the output fields you need to send from the chart to the table data source available?

If you need certain fields later in the model, but not specifically in the chart, you still have to make certain these are included in the data source leading to the chart. Otherwise the select line from the chart will not include all values you need to assign in the assigned value column when sending data in to the table's data source.

Right click on your chart's data source to configure what fields should be included in the out ports. If it's a BAPI then simply choose define data service, click on an output port and then check all needed fields. If it's a query be sure to include all needed fields.

Hope I got the problem!!

Henning

There is a but here: Often you will find that a BAPI does not have the same fields for input and output ports. If your data service does not send out the fields you need to send in again, then you need to use separate data sources, or to write your own.

For example you will often find a BAPI_..._LIST and a BAPI_..._DETAIL. In that case you will have to use the list to display a master view, and then send an ID from the ...LIST bapi to the ...DETAIL bapi for displaying a detail view.

Message was edited by:

Henning Strand

Former Member
0 Kudos

well it s a query ..... the output fields r available in the output port of the data source leading to the chart....but these r not available when i click on 'select' line....

Former Member
0 Kudos

When you create your data series in the chart, are all fields from the data source available to you there in the formula column?

Henning

Former Member
0 Kudos

all the key figures tht i had selected during the creation of the input form (input to the data sourcre which is input to the chart) are available

Former Member
0 Kudos

So these are available in the chart, but not available as assigned values on the select line to the second data source??

Strange

Have you changed the data type for the fields? Only options of the same data type are shown in the assigned value column.

Did you do my test with two start points? What happened?

Henning

Former Member
0 Kudos

hey m getting them in the assigned values column.... but now with what value in the input field shud i map them.....

Message was edited by:

Anshul Bhat

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have created a small word doc that shows my config. This might help. I cannot find how to upload a doc to a Wiki, so if you can supply me with an email address I can send it directly.

Actually you can see it here: <a href="http://www.mills.no/admin/filestore/chart_to_detailview.doc">chart_to_detailview.doc</a>

Henning

Message was edited by:

Henning Strand

Former Member
0 Kudos

hey my mail id is anshakd@gmail.com .... u can send me ne doc which u feel may b useful 2 me

well i just checked ur document and to tell u m doin the same thin but with a little bit modification(that is the later part) .... ryt now what i want is exactly what u r doin ... when u click on the 'select line', what r the entries coming in the 'input field'... and had u selected them when u created the form 'filter'.... coz all the entries m getting r of 'T' type and none is of 'N' type ....

Hey m getting all the fields on the output of the first data source (which is the input to the chart)but m not able to get the fields when i click on the 'select' line....plz help!!

Message was edited by:

Anshul Bhat

Former Member
0 Kudos

I really cannot find out what your problem is. I have tried building the same model from different data sources, and whatever source I use (BAPI or query) I am able to map the fields from the out port of the chart to the input fields of the second data source (as long as these are of the same data type).

If the source is a database table (query) where the input and output fields are the same, the field mappings are even done automatically when I connect the out port of the chart to the in port of the data source.

In this test I have done nothing more than:

1. create a new model

2. add data source twice

3. drag from out port of first source and add chart (no configuration of chart)

4. drag from out port of first source and connect to in port of second source, and then check what mappings are available

I would suggest you also try different approaches with different data sources to see what works and what does not. I too have had real brain aches while learning VC. The only way to learn is to test different scenarios while looking for the best solution.

Good luck and please update with your findings.

Henning

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Henning

I have tried the steps again but i m not gettin the fields that i want in the output.....

Here is a description of what m doin

I have characteristics as PLANNERGROUP,EQUIPMENT and others .... and by default when v run the query PLANNERGROUPS are shown in the rows and the key figures i.e. ACTUAL AMOUNT,PLAN AMOUNT,VARIANCE etc r shown in the columns.... now as u must be knowing that once v run the query ,there r options available to add other characteristics in the rows i.e. drill down those characteristics in rows ....now in VC what i want is that in the input form user should enter the particular planner group ... then click on the submit button and should get the variance amount for that particular planner group (that much is done)....now when the user clicks on the variance or anywhere in the table(output) , he should be able to see the break down in terms of equipments (i.e. all the equipments in that particular group and their actual and planned amount)...can u help me with this ...also send me ur mail id so that i can send u the snapshots of my model...may b u will have a better understanding.....

really need ur help.

Regards

Anshul Bhat

Answers (0)