cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MI updates

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

As a junior; I have a question about the MI updates at the SAP Support Portal, cause it 's not clear to me which updates I have to choose. And I don 't know where I can find more information about it, so maybe you can help me.

We have our own, customized MAM, currently running on MI25 SP19P3.

When I have a look at the update-screen in the SAP Support Portal, I 've noticed different updates, but it 's not clear to me where every update stands for:

<b>Delta Patches

SAP MI 2.5 SPXX

Patch for Mobile Client 2.5 SPXX

ALL drivers for SPXX</b>

Which patches do I need to install and what's the difference between them?

I 'v noticed that there is already a SP21. Is it useful and recommended to upgrade from SP19P3 to SP21? Which SP is currently the recommended one? Can we expect problems when upgrading?

It 's currently a bit a <i>black box</i> to me...

Thanks a lot for your help!

Best regards,

Diederik

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Diederik,

Well, first of all it is always a good idea to be on the latest patch, as long as there is not a big change like it was with SP18. But on the other hand, if your app runs stable, you can wait until the next SP is available and upgrade then to the last one. Pretty much the same strategy like in the other environments. Customers have all kinds of rules there like: we are on SP12 and this works fine, so we stay with it. The problem: if you are to far behind and there is an error, you mostly need to go to the latest release and this causes real issues then. So, have a clear update strategy and stick to it. And it can/should be the same strategy like in all other modules.

The client: there are mostly two updates available. On patch, and one full install. If you start from scratch with a new device, the complete install is correct for you. But this install for a PDA has about 3MB. If you have already 100 or 1000 devices installed, then it is not a good idea to install all devices from scratch with the full version. In that case you just send the patch - and this will bring MI2.5SP18 to MI2.5SP19. And the next patch to SP20 and so forth. You can install PAtch SP20 over Patch SP19 - just make sure that the order of installation is correct, cause it uses the patches in the oder stored in the LISTOFJARS file. In there it always adds the latest installation to the first position. This method is a delta patch and so it is the same like PATCH for Mobile Client 25.SPXX.

Drivers are version related and necessary to access external devices like a printer for example. This is not relevant for you as long as you do not need it. If you need it, the driver has to be the correct one for the MI client version you are using.

Finally: The client should be on the same version like the server. It is possible to sync with a client on SP19 against a server running on SP20 but not the other way round. And a client SP09 can not sync with a server SP20 - cause some main rules have changed there. And Server exists of 2 parts, ABAP stack and J2EE stack - update both of them to the same level!

So update the clients a soon as possible to the patch level of the server.

Hope it was not too confusing and has not added new questionmarks!

Regards,

Oliver

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for your explanation: it did clearify a lot to me!

We are indeed speaking of 100 - 1000 clients, so installing the full version of the SP would not be a good idea.

I don 't understand the difference between the delta-patches and the normal patches completely. As far as I did understand, a delta-patch is the 'difference' (delta) between the next version and the previous version. So when you have to upgrade from SP19 to SP21, you should first install <b>Delta Patch for Mobile Client 2.5 SP19</b> and secondly <b>Delta Patch for Mobile Client 2.5 SP20</b>. But what 's then the difference with a 'normal' patch?...

Thanks for your answer!

Best regards,

Diederik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Diederik,

A Delta Patch contains the delta fixes that have been done on a particular SP only. Meaning if you are on SP19 Patch 03 and you wish to upgrade to SP19 Patch 05 then you can use the Delta Patch for SP19. But this Delta Patch cannot (should not) be used if you want to upgrade from SP19 Patch 03 to SP21. In this case you will have to use the Normal Patch or also called Complete Patch. In simple words if you wish to upgrade to a higher patch with the same SP then use delta patch and if you wish to upgarde to a higher SP, then you will have to use the Complete Patch only. So for your scenario, you can only use the Complete Patch and not the Delta. A point worth mentioning here is that, a Delta Patch will never contain fixes done to JSP source files.

Hope this helps and clarifies your queries.

Best Regards

Sivakumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

based on the Info given previously by Sivakumar and myself: we have three different types of installations:

MI25SP19

MI25SP19Patch03

DeltaMI25SP20

So, MI25SP19 is the first thing you install. Complete installation, some MB on a PC - a complete installation. The SP19 has an error. This is fixed by a patch. So you come to MI25SP19, Patch 03. You will never see a SP19 full installation containing Patch03 - this always has to be installed manually by sync, after the Complete install of SP19.

But in the moment you upgrade to SP20 you have two options. Either use the patch for PS20 - this brings you MI25SP19P03 or MI25SP19 up to MI25SP20 wihth just the small delta patch. Or you install the complete MI25SP20 stack.

Hope this makes it more clear now.

Regards,

Oliver

Former Member
0 Kudos

Still a bit confused, cause the info of Sivakumar and Oliver seems to be different.

So, imagine I have the following situation:

• <b>SAP MI 2.5 SP19</b>

• <b>SAP MI 2.5 SP20</b>

• <b>Patch for Mobile Client 2.5 SP19 8</b>

• <b>Patch for Mobile Client 2.5 SP20 3</b>

• <b>Delta Patch for Mobile Client 2.5 SP19 8</b>

• <b>Delta Patch for Mobile Client 2.5 SP20 3</b>

The first time I want to install SP19, I have to use <b>SAP MI 2.5 SP19</b>.

After this installation, I have to install <b>Patch for Mobile Client 2.5 SP19 8</b> to bring it on patch level 8.

If I now want to upgrade to SP20, I can either install <b>SAP MI 2.5 SP20</b>, which is not recommended because a lot of data traffic, or I can install <b>Delta Patch for Mobile Client 2.5 SP20 3</b> to upgrade from SP19.8 to SP20.3.

Is this correct or not? Cause as far as I understand Oliver, this is correct, but as far as I understand Sivakumar, it 's not correct...

Thanks for your help!

Best regards,

Diederik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

You say..

<i>The first time I want to install SP19, I have to use <b>SAP MI 2.5 SP19</b>.

After this installation, I have to install <b>Patch for Mobile Client 2.5 SP19 8</b> to bring it on patch level 8.</i>

Here you can either use <b>Patch for Mobile Client 2.5 SP19 8</b> or <b>Delta Patch for Mobile Client 2.5 SP19 8</b> to upgrade

<i>If I now want to upgrade to SP20, I can either install <b>SAP MI 2.5 SP20</b>, which is not recommended because a lot of data traffic, or I can install <b>Delta Patch for Mobile Client 2.5 SP20 3</b> to upgrade from SP19.8 to SP20.3.</i>

Second part is not correct. You cannot use <b>Delta Patch for Mobile Client 2.5 SP20 3</b> to upgrade from SP 19.8 to SP20.3

@Oliver: If the client is on SP18 or SP 19...You can never upgrade to SP20 or SP21 using the corresponding delta patch.

Best Regards

Sivakumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

So, if I am correct... If I want to upgrade from SP19.8 to SP20.3, I have to install <b>SAP MI2.5 SP20</b>, and afterwards I also have to install <b>Patch for Mobile Client 2.5 SP20 3</b>.

Can I <b>only</b> install <b>Patch for Mobile Client 2.5 SP20 3</b>, or should I install <b>SAP MI2.5 SP20</b> as well?... I guess I should...

Best regards,

Diederik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Diederik

If you want to upgrade from SP19.8 to SP20.3, you dont have to install <b>SAP MI2.5 SP20</b> at all. Just install only <b>Patch for Mobile Client 2.5 SP20 3.</b> (remember this is not the Delta patch). I just suggest you to give it a try real time and you would better understand our statements.

Hope this clears all your doubts.

Best Regards

Sivakumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I think I have it right now! The complete SP is only needed the first time you install a Mobile Client. You can use the delta patches for updates within the same SP level, and you need the normal updates to update from SP level to another SP level (or also within the same SP level, but it will be larger in filesize then a delta patch).

Only one last final question Is it possible to use a normal patch to upgrade from a SP level (let's say SP18) to a much higher SP level (let's say SP21)? I mean, should I only install for instance <b>Patch for Mobile Client 2.5 SP21 3</b> or also <b>Patch for Mobile Client 2.5 SP19 8</b> and <b>Patch for Mobile Client 2.5 SP20 3</b>?

Thanks a lot for the explanation, I have a better understanding of the different update strategies. I can 't actually upgrade right now, cause the server is running on the same level as the clients do, and a server upgrade will not be proceeded before next year.

Best regards,

Diederik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Diederik

Your understanding is very perfect now. For your final query, you can upgrade from SP18 to SP21 Patch 03 directly by using the <b>Patch for Mobile Client 2.5 SP21 3</b>. You dont have to upgrade to 19, 20 and so on.

Best Regards

Sivakumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sivakumar,

Thanks a lot for your explanation! It did help me a lot!

Best regards,

Diederik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

sorry, yes, there I was unclear. For sure you can not use the delta patch tu upgrade fom SP19 to SP20 - but the rest is perfect now! Sorry for the confusion caused by me!

Regards,

Oliver

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Oliver,

No problem! Also thanks for your explanation!

Best regards,

Diederik

Answers (0)