cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

J2EE Engine Dispatcher failing to start

Former Member
0 Kudos

After completing the step 'Prepare the SAP Web AS ABAP + Java system for SAP Exchange Infrastructure' (pg. 15 of the installation guide), we noticed that we couldn't connect to the J2EE engine via the Visual Administrator to continue with installation. Upon using the JCmon utility, we found out that the dispatcher is not running. We noticed the following msg in the dev_dispatcher log:

[Thr 5552] *** ERROR => JHVM_LoadJavaVM: Cannot create Java VM (rc=-6)

[jhvmxx.c 480]

[Thr 5552] *** ERROR => Cannot load Java VM (server) (rc=-1)

The st_dispatcher log showed the following msg:

Unrecognized VM option

'MaxPermSize=128M-Djava.security.policy=./java.policy'

We think the dispatcher is not running and is complaining about the VM options b/c MaxPermSize=128M and -Djava.security.policy=./java.policy should be separated by a space. This parameter is set in step 'Adapt Memory Configuration for the J2EE Server' of section 'Configuring the J2EE Engine' under 'Prepare the SAP Web AS ABAP + Java system for SAP Exchange Infrastructure' (pg 16 - 17 of the installation guide).

Has anyone seen this before? I just like to confirm if we are looking at the correct root cause described above (i.e. missing space b/w the two VM parameters).

In order to fix this VM parameter, is anyone aware of a VM config file in which we can fix this parameter instead of reinstalling the WAS? We can not use the Visual Administrator to fix this parameter since we can not connect to the J2EE engine.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are using my access to the SDN forum. For some reason you are also listed under my name, "Kirk Miller". This post and another one have been linked to my id. Please change your user name. I have had this account since 2003. Thanks.

Message was edited by: Kirk Miller

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Krik.

Well, you say it's the dispatcher, so let's try this.

Open the config tool, and navigate the following please:

Cluster ->

Instance_IDxxxxxx ->

Dispatcher

Highlight the dispatcher node so that you see the Startup Framework settings under the 'General' tab.

Now the "-Djava.security.policy=./java.policy" is the first entry in the list (the list runs top to bottom, although it's not stored that way in the instance.properties file) so I'm assuming that you've added the 'MaxPermSize=128M' parameter above it.

So the simplest thing to try is to goto the end of the 'MaxPermSize=128M' and hit the space bar. Click save and restart the cluster. This should force the setting.

Let me know please how you do.

-Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Tim.

I tried to change the parameter in the .properties files under the cluster dir but it gets rolled back once I bounce the instance. Am I missing something?

I also tried the config tool but I can't find these parameters ('MaxPermSize=128M-Djava.security.policy=./java.policy') in there. Can you please provide the specific location of where I could locate these parameters in the config tool?

Thanks for all the help!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kirk,

Yes there is. In fact, this is the only tool you can use to configure memory settings - the offline config tool. I've done this before - not leaving the extra space - and hosing the whole system.

To access the config tool, goto
server\sapmnt\<SID>\<instance>\j2ee\configtool and launch the configtool.bat. Remember to make changes on the global node of either the server or the instance of the J2EE engine.

Additionally, you may wish to consider the option of just adjusting the file with the error to get you by till you can fix it in the VA. Under the \j2ee\cluster folder are the instance.properties and instance.propertoes.vmprop files. Find the spot where you need to add the space, add it, save the file and restart the cluster. Once started, go into the VA and make the change again so it's official.

You should be good to go after that.

Cheers,

Tim