cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetWeaver Mobile 7.1 Performance

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are evaluating NetWeaver Mobile 7.1 which uses Web Dynpro as option to develop an application which will run in an "occasionally connected mode".

The application will initially run on laptops hence will have its own web server runtime (Mobile client) and database (probably MaxDB).

Web Dynpro is known to have performance issues under certain conditions. This application will need to run in near real-time (its going to record time) in the offline mode and hence we are very concerned about using this technology.

How good can Web Dynpro perform when accessing local data?

Has anyone used it so far in such a scenario as it is a recent release? Can you share performance figures, if available?

Any experiences or suggestions you can share are welcome.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

maciola
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Varun,

I'm curently implementing a scenario (i.e. reimplement from 7.0 to 7.1) and I don't use WebDynpro this time. I'll still use the tomcat covered by compatibility layer (cfs). I think I won't take a serious advantage after I switch to WebDynpro technology.

regards,

Maciej

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Maciej,

That should be interesting to know. However, in the new version, are there options available other than Web Dynpro? From the SDN presentations etc., it seems

Web Dynpro is the only option available and it runs on a local client Tomcat runtime.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member304703
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Varun,

As of NW Mobile 7.1 SP03 (which is not released yet, I think) there will two frameworks available:

1. Webdynpro offline framework for Laptop

2. Mobile Application for Handheld (might be called OCA which stands for Occasionally Connected Architecture). By default OCA will generate eSWT UI and not AWT or JSP. This means the UI will look native.

Regards,

Larissa Limarova

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Larissa,

Thanks for the updates. Any dates on the release and are these confirmed

releases?

I understand both the frameworks you have mentioned are occasionally connected devices. Will the webdynpro offline framework for laptops run on a tomcat runtime (mobile client)?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

The webdynpro lient on laptop does not run on any tomcat server. In fact, you are not running the real dynpro implementation that runs on portal for example. You are creating the application in the webdynpro environment (as for the PDA UI) and run it in a new mobile client that is not using tomcat.

Performance wise, webdynpro is only used for the UI display, so anything that runs in the background will be as fast as a java application can be.

MaxDB is also industrial strength and proved to be really fast compared to previous options on MI (DB2e).

Overall, the whole new client layer is know to be faster than the previous iteration... and the middleware is much much faster with replication time to the roof.

Hopes this gives you a good starting point,

Julien.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Julien,

This is interesting. I was under the impression that the mobile client 7.1 contains a tomcat runtime and that the stripped down web dynpro libraries were ported to run on tomcat. What is the mobile client runnint on then if not tomcat?

SAP makes a big difference when a device is running in ocaasionaly connected mode and always connected mode. What mode is the device runing on when using web dynpro ? I think it is the always connected mode, though it is possible to have the device run in occasionally connected mode, provided

an app server (mobile client 7.1) and local db (minDB/maxDB) are available.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Varun,

Your assumption that since the client runs on Webdnypro it is always connected mode is wrong. It is Java Webdynpro and it can be used offline scenarios and go online only during synchronising to get new data or post data to DOE.

Thanks..

Preetham S

former_member304703
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Varun,

Preetham is correct: Webdynpro can run on any device with JVM. But PDA will not be of much use as it does not have enough resources to be able to run Webdynpro effectively, Webdynpro is simply too heavy for PDAs.

That is why Webdynpro offline is suitable for Laptops only.

SAP is releasing a different framework adapted to what PDA can do, so called OCA.

Cheers,

Larissa Limarova