cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CJ88 - asset value date

Former Member
0 Kudos

What is the best way to validate the asset value date in CJ88. we would like to setup something that checks the asset value date to be in the posting period of the settlement.

Any clarifications would be appreciated.

Thank you

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

bettassoci
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

Why do you wish to validate? What is your specific scenario?

If left blank, the asset value date will automatically be the last day of the settlement period.

There are many instances where entering the prior month or several prior months as the asset value date is the preferred method. More often than not, the assets being placed in service have been physically in service for many months, but the paperwork has not timely reached the asset accounting group...so, when settlement finally occurs, the asset value needs to be manually entered, and it will be a date in the past.

Regards,

Kent Bettisworth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your answer.

But in our case the users are entering a future asset value date, which is not equal to the settlement date or period. This is creating issuesin depr start date and issues in asset reporting of settled assets as they do not showup in the month end reports.

Hence would need something that validates the field so that the user always enters a date in the settlement period. We are not using past dates as far as I know.

Any options will be appreciated.

Thank you

bettassoci
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

Very interesting. In which SAP field are the users entering a future asset value date? On the settlement transaction or on the asset master record (ie. capitalization date)?

Regards,

Kent Bettisworth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply..

on the settlement transactions CJ88

Thank you

bettassoci
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

First, there is something very wrong with the business process. What information are the users relying on to even decide to enter a value in the 'Asset Value Date'?

It should be left blank, except in rare circumstances. And, if used, it generally is for a date in the past, not in the future. So I am curious why a future date?

Unfortunately, there is no resolution I am aware of to STOP the mistake systematically (except tell the individuals they are terminated if they do that again)!

I am discussing with my network of experts.

In the short run, the business process should be carefully analyzed. You are correct, this event will create significant erroneous issues with depreciation expense, and potentially lead to significant SOX reporting issues.

Regards,

Kent

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for your response.! I will have to train them on the importance of the value date.