cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating new WBS and checking cost center on release and save.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any information on this task I greatly appreciate!

I have an existing project which i go in and add a new WBS and activity, then I release it and save it. How can I check the cost center for that WBS element based on releasing the wbs or activity and saving it.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

bettassoci
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

What do you wish to validate the cost center against? I assume you want to validate when you say "...check the cost center...".

Are you entering the cost center manually? Do you want it to copy the cost center from an existing WBS in the project?

Sounds like you should consider using a substitution (OPSN).

Regards,

Kent

Former Member
0 Kudos

Upon releasing wbs or activity and saving, only the wbs elements need to be checked that they are not blank when it is released and save, no checking is not necessary on wbs elements that are not released .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Matt,

in this case, it is a validation what you need.

Best regards

Martina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Martina

Yes upon releasing the new wbs or activity, I need to check the cost center for that wbs that is not initial, whether it is at the release or save process.

thanks for responding

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

How is the substitution rule going to check a new wbs and activity that does not exist in the database tables yet

Former Member
0 Kudos

Matt,

I guess you will need use a user exit inside the validation as the standard tables are not suitable for your case.

Regards

Martina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Martina

Thanks for responding. I have checked the user exits and there is none that show me how i can determine in cj20n when checking cost center on the new created wbs when nwa is released and saved to existing project. Can you tell what the functionality is for the user exist and how that gets incorporated into the validation.

thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Matt,

In OPSI transaction, in the prerequisite phase of a step, you have the possibility to select a user exit to perform a self made check.

Please check OPSI transaction; In the object tree, select <i>WBS element </i> and click on button "Create validation". For this validation, create a <i>new step</i> with button "create step". In the <i>prerequisite</i>, you will need a user exit as table JEST (status) is not available (note 440186 will be useful in this case). You can reach the user exits via tab "exits" in the prerequisite. Finally in the <i>check</i> phase, you can verify the value in the cost center by selecting the corresponding field.

hope this helps

Regards

Martina

bettassoci
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

Precisely correct...you will not even be able to enter the cost center in any of the standard WBS or network activity fields, because the cost center will not be setup in the cost center tables yet.

This sounds more like a business process issue first, and a technical solution second.

Let's be clear on the business process first. Maybe I have missed something here. Are you entering a cost center on the WBS or network activity that does not yet exist in SAP? If yes, then maybe you are entering the cost center in a user-defined field (non-validated), and want to check against another source.

So, where does the ultimate source of valid cost centers reside? Or is there more to the business process we need to know.

I think this question is a great example of the difference between taking a BPX view to the solution, and a technical view to the solution.

Regards,

Kent

'If you're not Learning, you're not Living"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ken for your response.

The process is when creating a new WBS element and a NWA to an existing project, the process needs to check the cost center on the WBS to make sure that it is not initial upon releasing it and saving it. That basically it as far as this requirement is concerned. Just check cost center in WBS not initail.

regards

MAtt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Update:

upon releasing the new wbs or activity to existing project , I need to check the cost center for that wbs that is not initial, when it is release and saved.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt

A validation may also be useful in this case. In case you enter the cost center

manually and need to check its existance at the time of releasing the network/activity, a validation is the tool.

You can define it in OPSI transaction.

Hope this helps.

Best regards

Martina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Create a substitution rule for WBSE. Whenever new WBSE & activity will be added & saved then it will check for the cost centre.

Hope this will help you.

Regards,

Rakesh