cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WinGui 7.10 and JavaGui 7.10 on the same Vista machine?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I had WinGui (i.e. SAPgui for Windows) 7.10 patch 5 running on a Vista computer (a MacBook Pro running Vista under bootcamp). It seemed to be working fine. I then installed JavaGui (i.e. SAPgui for Java for Windows) 7.10 Rev 1 on the same Vista computer. Now JavaGui seems to be running fine, but WinGui seems to be broken.

I know that you can't run two different versions of the WinGui on the same computer (because the .dll files conflict with each other). Is it also the case that I can't run the WinGui and JavaGui on the same Windows computer? If so, is this also due to a conflict between the .dll files?

/David Rosenberg

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here is what happens when I try to use the WinGui (which was working just fine before I installed the JavaGui on the same computer).

I launch SAP Logon and it correctly shows me the list of systems to which I can connect.

I select a system and click the "Log On" button.

A dialog box with the title "Stop" appears. It contains the statement "Cannot initialize context management library" and an OK button.

I click on the "OK" button (because it is the only button in the dialog box).

That dialog box closes and a new dialog box with the title "Sapgui 710" appears. It contains the three lines:

'fewfront.dll'

could not be started (rc=0):

The operation completed successfully.

and an OK button.

I click on the "OK" button (because it is the only button in thre dialog box).

The dialog box closes and the attempt to log on to that system is abandoned.

Do you any idea what is causing this and how I can fix it?

Thanks.

/David Rosenberg

RMW
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi David,

we have installed SAP GUI for Windows 7.10 patch 5 and then SAP GUI for Java for 7.10 rev 1 on the same Vista PC. SAP GUI for Windows is still working.

Andreas has created a support ticket on your behalf to follow up on the issue.

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rolf-Martin,

Thanks.

I had Vista's security settings in their default state (where every time you try to install or update anything, it puts up dialogs asking you whether you had initiated the operation. When I tried to install the JavaGui, instead of bringing up a dialog, it told me that I didn't have permission to do what it wanted. The log entries read:

Insufficient process rights - not able to create an executable [EXE} in C:\Program Files\SAP clients

Insufficient process rights - not able to create an executable [BAT} in C:\Program Files\SAP clients

Insufficient process rights - not able to create a library [DLL] in C:\Program Files\SAP clients

Installation of SAPGUI 7.10 rev 1 completed with errors.

In order to be able to install the JavaGui, I went to Vista's "Security Center -> Other Security Settings -> User Account Control" and turned off User Account Control. After doing that, the JavaGui installed without any problems. However, the WinGui started exhibiting the problem I described.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, the problem went away, but I don't understand why.

Here is some more information.

I normally launch the WinGui from a desktop shortcut with the following propeties

SAP Logon

Target type: SAP Application Launcher

Target location: SAL

Target: "C:\Program Files\SAP\SapSetup\setup\SAL\SapLogon.s8l"

Start in: "C:\Program Files\SAP\SAPsetup\setup\SAL"

Shortcut key: None

Run: Normal window

That shortcut was working correctly before I installed the JavaGui and it is thatr shortcut which produced the failure I reported.

I noticed that in the Vista Start menu I see SAP Logon with the following propeties

SAP Logon

Target type: Application

Target location: SAPgui

Target: "C:\Program Files\SAP\FrontEnd\SAPgui\saplgpad.exe"

Start in: C:\Temp

and when I select

Vista Start menu -> All prpgrams, I see:

a "SAP Front End" folder and a "SAP Frontend" folder. Each of these folders contains a "SAP Logon" with properties as follow:

"SAP Front End -> SAP Logon"

Target type: SAP Application Launcher

Target location: SAL

Target: "C:\Program Files\SAP\SapSetup\setup\SAL\SapLogon.s8l"

Start in: "C:\Program Files\SAP\SAPsetup\setup\SAL"

"SAP Frontend -> SAP Logon"

Target type: Application

Target location: SAPgui

Target: "C:\Program Files\SAP\FrontEnd\SAPgui\saplgpad.exe"

Start in: C:\Temp

I think that I tried clicking on one of the shortcuts in the Vista Start menu (rather than the Desktop shortcut) and not only did that work, but after doing that, they all worked.