cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetWeaver RFC and IPv6

Former Member
0 Kudos

One of the main benefits with the new-ish NetWeaver RFC SDK over its older librfc sibling is that the newer has support for IPv6 according to<a href="https://websmp101.sap-ag.de/~form/sapnet?_SHORTKEY=01100035870000701311&">the connectors page</a>

Based on my limited understanding of IPv6 compliant development, one has to move away from using the old IPv4 APIs such as gethostbyname() and its peers and instead use the IPv6-aware getaddrinfo()

I'm on WinXP x64 and I'm dumpbin'ing sapnwrfc.dll to see what it's importing from the windows socket implementation (still in ws2_32.dll) and was somewhat surprised to see that the ostensibly IPv6 capable NW RFC still only imports IPv4 APIs and not getaddrinfo().

It's of course possible to dynamically bind to that API and it wouldn't show up in dumpbin's output, but I would consider that unlikely.

Am I missing something? Has anyone verified that the NW RFC works in a pure IPv6 environment?

Thanks,

/Henrik

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Benny
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Henrik,

I guess we should have...

IPv6 is determined by some pretty big customers. Although NetWeaver 7.0 (as far as I know) still has some minor issues on it, the API should be there, as we are testing already on higher levels.

Regards,

Benny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Benny for your prompt response. That is of course a rather safe assumption.

I'm still not sure why the x64 version (that doesn't have to work with Win2000 and its questionable IPv6 support) of sapnwrfc.dll still appears to be using old IPv4 socket APIs and does not appear to be using getaddrinfo().

getaddrinfo() works with both protocols and gethostbyname() etc are not capable of handling IPv6.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

/Henrik

Answers (0)