cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Message Server Unreachable (after changing IP address at host)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

I changed the IP address in my server. According to note 403708, I updated the new IP address in /etc/hosts. The note also suggests me to change in /etc/services but I see no IP address for me to update.

Later when I restart my sapinstance, I see the disp+work.exe is "Running, but Message Server Unreachable". I've also updated the IP address in SM59 but I see no change.

This is what I got from dev_rfc.trc:

• ERROR file opened at 20071206 221839, SAP-REL 620,0,674 RFC-VER 3 549374 MT-SL

T:5048 Error RFCIO_ERROR_MESSAGE in abrfcio.c : 1400

T:5048 <* RfcDispatch [1] : returns 1:RFC_FAILURE

This is what I got from dev_disp:

• WARNING => DpNetCheck: NiAddrToHost(1.0.0.0) took 5 seconds

***LOG GZZ=> 1 possible network problems detected - check tracefile and adjust the DNS settings [dpxxtool2.c 3212]

Anyone has any idea?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI TY,

How are you changing your ip address in /etc/hosts? Do the samething in etc/sysconfig/network as you did in /etc/hosts.

Then, Unix, type hostname and hostname -s= they should show samething. sometimes you have reboot your system after adding/changing ip info in both locations.

Thanks,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I'm in Windows Environment. In /etc/hosts I can see information about my hosts and IP address, but in etc/network I see there's no information about hosts and IP at all (before I changed the IP). I'm sorry but I quite doubt if my problem will be solved if I update this information in etc/network. But still thanks for your opinions

ChrisGela
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Are you sure you've only changed your IP and not your hostname as well?

Kind Regards,

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

Yeah I only changed my IP. According to the sapnote I only need to update /etc/hosts and /etc/services but in my /etc/services I only see the services and the ports that they're using so I did not maintain the hosts and IP in there.

Regards

TY

ChrisGela
Participant
0 Kudos

Yes, if changing your IP you'd only need to make sure /etc/hosts is correct. Don't worry about your /etc/services (this contains mappings between service names and ports, nothing to do with IP addresses.)

I'm a little confused, you say you're working in a windows environment, but you keep referring to a linux/unix file paths of "/etc/hosts" and "/etc/services"?

Just to confirm again, what environment is your SAP system running on?

Regards,

c

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check your hosts file for invisible characters.

I've already seen cases where the last line of the hosts file was not taken in account because of a bad character for end of file.

You can check the file with an HEX viewer.

Just a tiny chance but it's worth a try...

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes I'm on Windows, the path that i'm refering is:

winnt/system32/drivers/etc/services

winnt/system32/drivers/etc/hosts

Anyway my prob is fixed now. Probably the problem is due to I did not restart the server after changing the IP. Anyway everything looks pretty fine now

Thanks guys

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check the <b>/etc/sysconfig/network</b> and make sure the IP and hostname are present.

regards

tamilboy