cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding new project mask in Production Client

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have requirement of adding new project mask code for Production client.

As SAP standard functionality does not allow you to add any new project

mask once you create a project .So if I try to add new mask system will not

show me projects already created and released.Is there any solution to this

problem?

Ranjit

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ranjit,

If what you need is to create a new mask and there are already projects and WBS

elements starting with the characters you intend to use for the new mask, the only option is the following.

-Rename all the existing projects (and WBS elements) to a temporary different coding

-Create the desired mask

-Rename the projects back to the new created mask.

I understand this is not a very good workarround, but it is the only option if you need to create the mask and cannot delete the projects.

Hope this helps

Regards

Martina

bettassoci
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Ranjit,

You did not specify exactly what type of new mask you are adding. For example, maybe you simply need to modify an existing code. You can make two changes to existing codes that have projects created.

1. You can extend the length of the mask to the complete 24 characters, if not already 24 characters.

2. You can change any 0 (numeric only) character in the mask to an X (allows alphanumeric).

The best means to see what project codes are already in use, you should run SE16 for table PROJ and PRPS. You want to view the fields in PROJ-PSPNR and/or PROJ-PSPID as well as PRPS-PSPNR and PRPS-POSID. So, any project code beginning values (A, B, C, etc; 1, 2, 3, etc) displayed cannot be setup as new project codes.

Yes, you could delete the old project codes after archiving the structures, but you also have to (or should) archive any associated financial documents. As the previous responder stated, this is not a trivial task.

Points appreciated....

Regards,

Kent Bettisworth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would like to add few more line as if we will archive operative projects then existing coding mask can be deleted. However project archiving is a tedicious process. Project coding mask is very critical parameters in PS.

Hope this will help you.

Regards,

Rakesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

When you have operative projects based on particular coding mask, you cant delete it. You can very well add new coding mask and still you will be able to view projects created by old coding mask. For eg: If you have a coding mask A-0 in system and operative projects A-1, A-2 etc, then you cannot delete A-0 coding mask. But you can add a coding mask B-0, create projects like B-1, B-2 etc and you will be able to view all the projects A-1, B-1 etc.

In case you get exhausted with existing coding mask ie in case of A-0 you can go maximum till A-9 then you can:

1. change a numeric section to an alpahmumeric section of the same length. A-X in this case

2. extend the coding mask with an alphanumeric section. A-0-X

You can try out in development client first. Hope this helps.

Regards