cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using SAP integrated mail - request for field experience

Former Member
0 Kudos

In our company, we have two separate mail systems, one for internal mail, and one for external (SMTP) mail. 90% of corporate users have a SAP login, the total number is about 100, the volume is not high, the GUI is Windows SAP GUI.

I am evaluating a scenario with the internal mail operated through the SAP functions (Office Workplace), leaving the external mail on a separate system, or - perhaps - allowing SAP to send mail to external recipients through a SMTP gateway.

The usage of the SAP mail system could be:

- mail messages

- messages with linked SAP objects

- agenda and meeting management in future, integration with workflow.

In my view:

PROS:

- decrease costs: I don't have to pay for maintenance of the internal mail system (hw/sw/support)

- better integration with SAP objects and SAP workflow

- I can (perhaps) use the same client also for sending external messages (in future also fax)

- less security concerns

CONS:

- more space required on DB (but we have a low mail volume)

- the user interface maybe less appealing and integrated with the windows environment

I would like to share opinions and experiences on this.

I will post the same questions also in other forums that I believe relevant.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Massimo

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Massimo

I will share my views on this topic.

First of all you must understand how well the SAP system is deeply integrated and accepted in your company. Secondly SAP mail system is an exclusive workplace to manage your business; that is why you have facility of sending SAP mail from almost any screen as an embedded object as well as workflow. Imagine a scenario where you do not have any internal mailing system and users communicating & using SAP mail as the only tool – In this case a lot of resource is sacrificed. I understand your concern and organisation being a low volume user this thinking is quite natural. Still If you ask my opinion it is better to keep the two mail system as separate.

Reward points if found useful

Regards

Alok Sengupta

Former Member
0 Kudos

Alok, thanks for your thoughts.

Can you please explain more in detail the expression "..lot of resource is sacrificed" ?

Regards,

Massimo

Former Member
0 Kudos

By resource I mean DB storage & N/w Bandwidth. User would tend to post & store files of personal interest that may not be having any enterprise value. But afterall it is debtable. That's why if you read my first sentence "how deep is the processes integrated into business"... If the whole ERP system is integrated deeply into your business where every user is aware of the fundamentals then your decision is right.

Regards

Alok Sengupta

Former Member
0 Kudos

I understand, thanks

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The answer can be found in note 691407.

"If you use SAPoffice as internal communication platform, plan to switch to a different mail system".

Edited by: Massimo Coletti on Apr 10, 2008 11:05 AM