cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

handling unit(lengthy question please take patience to reply)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi SAP SD guys,

can any body explains me about handling unit? i read SAP library according to my knowledge handling unit isa single variety material items+ packing material is it true. but SAP library is saying " A handling unit is a physical unit that consists of the packaging materials (load carrier / packaging material) and the goods contained therein. A handling unit is always a combination of materials and packaging materials. "my doubt is here is whether handling unit consists of single variety material or it may consists of differrent materials

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

a HU consists of a packaging material and the goods contained therein. HUs can be nested, that means you can create new HUs from several existing HUs, as often you want.

HU = packaging material + goods contained therein

f.e.

HU1 = 3 apples packed in 1 box

HU2 = 2 apples packed in 1 box

HU3 = 4 carrots packed in 1 box

(you can pack your boxes with the fruits and vegetables on 1 pallet:)

HU4 = HU1, HU2, HU3 packed on 1 pallet

in this case you do the picking and movements with the highest HU level, that means you pick and move HU4 in the example

I hope this helps.

regards,

Ely

Former Member
0 Kudos

iam not crystal clear iam in confusion please help with good example

jiteshmehta
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Kattamahesh

Please refer the link

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_46c/helpdata/en/19/7f6d36f74c7505e10000009b38f839/frameset.htm

Truck image will clear your doubt, Material is given HU number for each handling , if you put it in pallet HU number is given, if you put pallet in container another HU number is given.

Regards

Jitesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

thanks for your answer . see small doubt if i put six apples ina card board box then it isa one handling unit? iam a correct

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Naga,

Handling unit consits of the packing material which in turn contains the material itself. So in your example the cardboard box is not the handling unit it is the packing material. Now assume the apples are put in the cardboard box and the box is put in a pallet. The pallet is the handling unit.

Hope it had helped you. Do reward if it had.

Regards

Nadarajah Pratheb

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi pratheb,

please leave my example.can u explain with ur own example of handling unit so that i can better understand.and i also like to reward points i dont know the procedure since iam fresher to this site

rajesh_chavan
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi dear,

Yes you are correct in you example.

As you said earlier handling unit is a physical combination of material consisting of : 1. Packaging material (For eg. pallets, carton, containers, trucks etc..) and 2. Goods (To be transported, stored, used and so on....)

Picking is always carried out based on the handling units.....for eg. in your case picking will be done by counting your box nos. not apples. further if you put this type of 10 box (which contain 6 apples) in one pallet then this pallet will be considered as one handling unit for entire logistic process....

cheers,

RC

Note: reward if this helps you..

rajesh_chavan
Active Participant
0 Kudos

for giving rewards you will have a option below your name.....click on the tab of numbers whatever you want to reward..

cheers,

RC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Naga,

Consider a washing machine or a refrigerator. It would be packed using a cardboard and then would be placed on a pallet. Just in case you are not sure of how a pallet looks like click on the link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pallet

In this example the Washing Machine is the material. The Cardboard is referred as the packing material in SAP and the pallet is the Handling Unit.

Now read the definitions given by SAP it would make more sense to you else do get back for any query.

To reward points you need to select the radio button provided on the left side of every answer.

Regards

Nadarajah Pratheb

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

i will tell what i understand that handling unit is a combination of material and

packing materials. i have gone through your link just small doubt regarding pallet ,

take your example washing machine we can cover entire card boardin which

washing machine is present.through pallet.because in your link says goods are

placed on top of the pallet?

2> if i place a pallet in a container then it becomes one more handling unit.(yes or

no)then how you do picking in SAP

3> basically what are the advantages of handling units in non sap and sap?