cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choosing between Development scenarios

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

We are at point on choosing a development scenario b/w 2+ and 3. We could get sufficient information about 2+ but, I really did not understand how different 3 is from 2+.

How does connecting tracks in scenario 3 helps?

When to choose 3? As there is 3 and 2+ and we can do everything we can in 2+ also in 3, why is there 2+ at all?

Thanks in advance,

Kiran

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kiran

My two cents on this , you choose a a single track if the end product you deliver is a single software component. You choose multiple tracks and track connections if the product is composed of multiple software components and have dependency defined between them.

Regards

Pran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ramakrishna and Pran,

Thanks for your replies. I now have a better idea about scenario 3. But, since you can do everything in scenario 3 that you can do in scenario 2+, I wonder why everyone doesn't use scenario 3 (even though they are developing single track and have just one SC). This way they have better scalability if they want to add a new track with new SC in future.

Am I wrong in any way?

Is there any complexity in administrating Scenario 3 compared to whats in 2+ ?

Thank you so much,

Kiran

sid-desh
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Kiran,

There is no difference in administration of Scenario 2+ and Scenario 3.Its just that you have some additional steps.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards

Sidharth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Sidharth.

Lets have we just finished a drop into Production and would like to work on adding new features to our product.

I know for scenario 3, we would do that by creating a follow-in track and copying the SCs from previous track to the new one and import the configuration for the new one.

How different is this from the point of view of an administrator in case of scenario 2+? Does scenario 3 make it any better?

Thanks again,

Kiran

former_member183805
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Kiran,

For someone using Scenario 2, a second track would be needed as soon as you wish to branch out (to maintain the old release, while developing a new release). The original description of scenario 2 does not highlight this.

From an administration viewpoint, with Scenario 3 you'll have to create "transport" connections between tracks (because the lower layer track delivers its SCs to the upper layers), but with Scenario 2+ you will need (once you branch out) "repair" connection between tracks.

These scenarios have actually been revised - the new classification has combined 2+ and 3 into a single scenario. I'll put up a link to the official documentation once this new version is released.

Regards,

Manohar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Manohar,

That was very informative. Thanks a lot! How soon can we expect this new version into the market? Does it come with the next service pack?

Thanks for your time,

Kiran

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Scenario 2+ and Scenario 3 are almost same, Except if you noticed that Scenario 2+ is based on single track, where as Scenario 3 is two tracks.In Scenario 3 you can transfer your SC to another track so that further enhancements can be built in this track parallely.

Refer this link.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp2004/helpdata/en/70/3a56405aff1e24e10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm

Regards,

RK