cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Portal Roles should be given to developers?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I recommended this option ... can anybody find and faults with the recommendation below? What risk is there giving the super admin portal role to developers in a sandbox? I don't see any risk.

-

1) Install the Portal Development Kit (PDK) on the Sandbox portal and assign the Java Developer Role to developers.

- The PDK is a business package which adds 1 role to the portal: (com.sap.pct.pdk.JavaDeveloper role).

- SAP recommends to "install the Portal Development Kit (PDK) only* in a development or sandbox system."...in this case we install the PDK only on Sandbox.

- SAP built the PDK to provide valuable tools that help facilitate custom Java Development inside the portal.

- PDK provides detailed information and tools for API's necessary for java portal development.

2) Grant the following 2 portal roles to developers in Sandbox. The following 2 portal roles are required for users of the PDK as documented by SAP on page 7 in the following document: PortalDevelopmentKit - Installation.pdf :

- super_admin_role (*only in Sandbox)

- ContentManger role

This means that the tools inside the PDK (iviews in the Java Developer Role) will not work correctly without these 2 roles: super_admin_role & ContentManager. My guess is that SAP designed it this way because they knew there was no real risk in giving these 2 roles to developers in a Sandbox environment.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think you need only system administration role to deploy your projects on the portal.

So I suggest you can give System administration role and Content administration role to the developers. Even I was having these roles only in one of my projects.

Please reward the points if it is helpful.

Thanks,

Pankaj

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

solved

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am aware that super admin grants the 3 roles. However, what is the risk in a <b>SANDBOX</b>...sandbox is by definition untrusted. It is isolated from a productive environment.

System Administration role grants the user administration.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I do not see any risk in giving super admin to developers in Sandbox system. If developers do not have super admin rights, it will intoduce a bottleneck for the developer. ie., when the developer needs to check some settings , he/she needs an admin - Which is absoultely can be avoided by giving the developer full access.

For some reason , I have seen this issue with basis people, but once you educate them the difference between sap abap world and portal world , they are ok ( some agree reluctantly since they have no option !)

Regards,

Arul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kelley,

There is a huge risk if you are giving super admin role because one who is having super admin role he can assign all the roles to a particular user. If you are assigning super admin role to a particular user he gets three roles, System Administration, User Administration and Content Administration. If one is having User administration he can assign any role to any user.

Thanks,

Pankaj