What Portal Roles should be given to developers?
I recommended this option ... can anybody find and faults with the recommendation below? What risk is there giving the super admin portal role to developers in a sandbox? I don't see any risk.
1) Install the Portal Development Kit (PDK) on the Sandbox portal and assign the Java Developer Role to developers.
- The PDK is a business package which adds 1 role to the portal: (com.sap.pct.pdk.JavaDeveloper role).
- SAP recommends to "install the Portal Development Kit (PDK) only* in a development or sandbox system."...in this case we install the PDK only on Sandbox.
- SAP built the PDK to provide valuable tools that help facilitate custom Java Development inside the portal.
- PDK provides detailed information and tools for API's necessary for java portal development.
2) Grant the following 2 portal roles to developers in Sandbox. The following 2 portal roles are required for users of the PDK as documented by SAP on page 7 in the following document: PortalDevelopmentKit - Installation.pdf :
- super_admin_role (*only in Sandbox)
- ContentManger role
This means that the tools inside the PDK (iviews in the Java Developer Role) will not work correctly without these 2 roles: super_admin_role & ContentManager. My guess is that SAP designed it this way because they knew there was no real risk in giving these 2 roles to developers in a Sandbox environment.