Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

redisgn for performance enhance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I have a problem which is a bit unclear at this point of the time. I have a program with two subroutines and its performance is very poor. So we decided to redesign it into three different individual programs. One for each subroutine and a'HAT' program which calls these two programs. Please let me know if this enhances the performance and if it is feasible.

regards,

anirvesh

7 REPLIES 7

Former Member
0 Kudos

I don't think adding complexity will enhance performance. But it may, if you'll be doing parallel processing. Can you post your original code?

Rob

0 Kudos

Hi Rob,

The code is very large. Actually in one subroutine we are identifying the records to be updated and in the other subroutine we are updating the records. So the actual plan is to do parallel processing. So if doing parallel processing does the splitting of the program helps??

Thanks.

0 Kudos

This may speed up your process, but depending on your system architecture and number of processes, it may slow down others.

You may also run into locking issues.

Rob

0 Kudos

And please do not cross or duplicate post.

Rob

0 Kudos

hi rob,

Thanks you and sorry for the duplicate posting. First I posted in a wrong categoery after that I posted in this thread. I will take precaution next time.

regards,

0 Kudos

hi,

Regarding the locking issues, that was one concern but I jsut wanted to make sure if the splitting enhances the perofrmance which u have confimed. Thank you I also want to know what are the factors that contribute to the peroformance enhancement.

regards,

0 Kudos

adding one more subroutine would mean one more level to the call stack and extra memory consumption; won't improve performance. Subroutines are used for modularization and readability of code (except Perform on commit subroutines).