Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BPS extraction to BI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello BW-BPS experts,

I have worked on R/3 to BI extractions but totally new in BPS part of BI 7.0

1. I want to know how to implement BPS in BW 7.0. Is it better practise to make different reports to view BPS data??

2. Is extraction process from BPS to BW different from extraction from R/3 modules(MM, SD etc) to BW ?? if yes then whats the difference.

3. Are there any standard datasources for extracting BPS data that we have to activate and use like what we do for LO extractions??

4. From some threads in forum i get to know that BPS dont need different server then BW as what we do for R/3, then how do we extract data from BPS to BW.

Please suggest. Points assured.

Thanks,

null

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The rules to set plan data from actual data depends on the budgeting process of organizations; some may just copy, some will increment or decrement or some other combination.

In IP, you can do this with value type copy; in BPS, you can do this by value type copy if plan and actual are in same cube or by copying planing area if the actual and plan are in diff cubes.

Ravi Thothadri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

By searching the forum I get to know that BI Integrated Planning is the new version of BW-BPS that is delivered as standard with BI 7.0.

As I am new in Planning.. what shall I go for.. IP or BPS?? Do i need the base of BPS to know IP??

How exactly BPS differs from IP.. It would be great if you could share some link or document for beginner like me

Thanks

Former Member

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. I want to know how to implement BPS in BW 7.0. Is it better practise to make different reports to view BPS data??

>>>BPS is a planning tool, you use realtime cube to do planning and then use this cube for reports, or use a multiprovider for actual/plan reports.

2. Is extraction process from BPS to BW different from extraction from R/3 modules(MM, SD etc) to BW ?? if yes then whats the difference.

>>>Plan data is saved to realtime cubes, you don't need any extractor

3. Are there any standard datasources for extracting BPS data that we have to activate and use like what we do for LO extractions??

>>>What exactly do you mean by BPS data? Usually BPS data is plan data which you create using planning functions.

4. From some threads in forum i get to know that BPS dont need different server then BW as what we do for R/3, then how do we extract data from BPS to BW.

>>> BPS is part of BW, you don't need any extractors, data is saved to assigned realtime cube. I would recommend to read on BPS from help and also understand for what reasons you want to implement it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply.

As you said 'BPS data is plan data which you create using planning functions.'

What are the planning functions based on.. i mean are there any specific rules or tools to prepare planned data from the actual data??

I will be greatful if you could share some documents or links for planning functions.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi sdn,

Planning functions change the transaction data in a planning package. Each planning function is assigned to just one planning level. There are various types of planning function (for example, copy, distribute, delete, formula). Parameter groups are created for a planning function. Those fields that are to be changed are determined when a planning function is defined The values of those fields are determined when a parameter group is defined.

You want to copy data from the actual version to the plan version. When you define the planning function you can determine which fields are to be changed during the copy operation. Select the Version field. When determining the parameter group you determine that version 001 is to be copied to version 002.

This one link can drive you thru......

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/helpdata/en/05/242537cedf2056e10000009b38f936/frameset.htm

Regards

Karthik

*****Thanks for what ever points you assign me