Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

While Implementing ESOA projects

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I have some questions regarding implementing an ESOA project:

<u><b>1. Regarding UI Technologies</b></u>

1. While consulting clients, how can we recommend them which UI technology to use for front end development. say it be Visual composer or Web Dynpro. What are the standards for their selection?

<u><b>2. Regarding development language</b></u>

1. what is more efficient language to use? ABAP or Java for development?

<u><b>3. Regarding Project Evaluation</b></u>

1. How can we implement and evaluate an ESOA project? Are there some methodology or tools for it?

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

sudeep

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi sudeep,

ad 1) the choice of UIs is not within the scope of SOA. moreover, if a specific SOA is conceptually bound to some specific UI technology, your architecture is flawed.

ad 2) there's no black and white concerning development langugages. one objective of SOA is just the one, that it shouldn't matter which technology you use to implement various services. you're not doing wrong, choosing different implementation technologies for different areas where they suite best(or where they even already exist). exposing such technical services as business services based on standards(e.g. SOAP using webservices) leads you towards an SOA.

ad 3) assuming you talk of SOA concepts in an SAP dominated environment I suggest to start reading <a href="https://www.sdn.sap.comhttp://www.sdn.sap.comhttp://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/enterprisesoa">here</a>.

my 2 cents,

anton

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anton,

Thanks for the response.

1. However, when we implement ESOA projects, we have to custom develop the UI for the client's needs. Then we will have to choose among the various UI tools offered by SAP. I want to know if there there are some measurements or standards, by which we can decide which technology to use in the development process.

If you can share some thing on this, it would be helpful.

2. I got your point. Thank you.

3. Thanks for the link.

Thanks,

Regards,

sudeep

Ramneek
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

<i>1. Regarding UI Technologies

While consulting clients, how can we recommend them which UI technology to use for front end development. say it be Visual composer or Web Dynpro. What are the standards for their selection?</i>

The choice of UI technology would depend on the business users of the applications.

I would recommend the following article on the SDN </people/filip.misovski/blog/2006/10/20/using-the-sap-netweaver-enterprise-portal-and-netweaver-business-client-technical-and-business-advantages for an insight into the choice of UI technology.

Please be aware that Visual Composer is not a UI technology but a composition tool.

<i>2. Regarding development language

what is more efficient language to use? ABAP or Java for development?</i>

I am assuming by efficiency you imply the runtime performance of a service written in ABAP / JAVA.

If this is the case then I think there is no thumb rule to decide which language would produce a better running service.

As a decision maker I would rather base my selection on the requirement, skill set and the infrastructure available for the development of the service.

<i>3. Regarding Project Evaluation

How can we implement and evaluate an ESOA project? Are there some methodology or tools for it?</i>

SAP Enterprise Architecture Framework provides you with all the tools and methodology for the evaluation and implementation of an ESOA project.

The SAP Enterprise Architecture Framework is a methodology and provides a toolset primarily to support the effective adoption of ESOA.

I hope this helps.

Thank you,

Ramneek

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

What are you talking about?

ESOA is an Enterprise Service Oriented Architecture specification from SAP.

ESOA narrow down the gap between IT and business during the IT enablement of business requirements using technologies and frameworks.

As a consultant the most important objective of ESOA should be to teach your client about defining service interface using SOA principles.

A Service Interface is an implementation independent definition using common semantics such as XML so that a service provider can implement the service specification according to service contract using their own technology. Since SOA provide business vision without concerned about implementation (using interfaces of services) it can bring the agility and quality

When you guys talk about JAVA, ABAP, UI etc they are either technologies or frameworks with service enablement, but not really SOA itself.

Your success of ESOA initiatives are always defining AGILE , SOA principle based services using service interface and definition right governance and management around the services using enterprise vision. Once business start to think about IT enablement in terms of services instead technology program such as JAVA pojo, RFC module, ABAP code, BAPI, EJB etc. business can re-align their dynamic business goals without dealing much with IT programmers or low level system guys. These concepts bring agility to business but still use complicated IT.

If you start think about SOA services from a tool perspective without putting much attention to the real objective of SOA itself, frankly u r killing the concept and trying make your client feel that it is all about learning some SOA enabled tools. If you follow that approach, either you are not capable to think in terms of an architecture principle or just hanging around IT cuz it pay good also trying fish in the traditional water where you feel that if you learn some tool you automatically became developer, designer, architect or whatever you wanted to be.

SOA is an Agile Architecture concept based on SOA principles which advice business and IT professionals to think in terms of services so that agile IT enablement of business are made possible. IT is not just about tools or technologies.

Thanks

Message was edited by:

Shaji Nair