cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java Version

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

As part of system audit recommendations we need to upgrade JVM version from 1.4.2_03 to 1.4.2_11 on (ECC6.0 on Windows NT (32 bit) platform, Oracle 10.1.0.5.0). when I see system info on Java home page browser Java version shows 1.4.2._11 and Java home shows as C:\j2sdk1.4.2_11\jre. But command 'Java -version' on command prompt returns 'java version 1.4.2-03. Java (TM) 2 runtime environment , standard edition build 1.4.2.-03 -b02) mixed mode'. 'Where java' command returns path as D:\Oracle\<SID>\101\1.4.2\bin\java.exe. C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\java.exe. I tried to set system environment variable JAVA_HOME to C:\j2sdk1.4.2_11\jre (sidadm login). Now 1) How to make java -version command returns the latest installed version i.e 1.4.2_11? 2) What is the effect on Oracle? Any help is duly rewarded.

Regards, Krishna

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I awarded points to both. Please check and let me know.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Chris & Swapnil,

Problem resolved after I enter C:\1.4.2_11\bin in PATH under system environment variable. I added this entry in the beginning so that system takes priorty remaining the other path variables. As Swapnil suggested I did not delete the Oracle entries in the PATH variable. One more thing I observed is server reboot not required for this change to take immediate effect.

Many thanks to both of you for pointing me in right direction. I would like to reward points to both. Please let me know how to do this as I am using this feature first time.

Regards,

Krishna

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Krishna,

Its good that your problem is solved....regarding points you will see below 3 rows beside our answers select the best related to the person who has answer your query

Solved problem (10)

Very helpful answer (6)

Helpful answer (2)

Regards,

Swapnil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Chris,

Your answer looks promising. I quickly checked environmental variable PATH in Windows. It shows "D:\Oracle\<SID>\101\1.4.2\bin" means I have to change this to new Java location. Also I tried C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\java.exe -version" in the command prompt which returned the new version 1.4.2_11. Means I do not need to change anything in there. I will let you know the result after server reboot which will take long time as per the change management procedures.

Regards,

Krishna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just to add to Cris comment,

in the Enviroment Variables <b>PATH</b> you will find the Oracle path for Java just enter the new Java location C:\j2sdk1.4.2_11\jre before oracle :\Oracle\<SID>\101\1.4.2\bin in path chk weather the version is getting changed

Swapnil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry for getting back very late. After Reboot of server JAVA SDK still shows the old version. No idea where else to change. Any inputs?

Regards,

Krishna

ChrisGela
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

You need to change the windows <b>PATH</b> environmental variable as well.

Check the value of the PATH environment variable. If it contains the line "D:\Oracle\<SID>\101\1.4.2\bin\java.exe" change it to the new path "C:\j2sdk1.4.2_11\jre"

Make sure that the java under the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\java.exe is the new java. You can check by typing in "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\java.exe -version" in the command prompt.

You might need to reboot. (if you successfully change the PATH enviro variable)

Kind Regards,

chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

Change the system variable to the new path where newer version files

are located it will not effect the Oracle.

Restart the complete system along with the SAP system.

The new variable will take into effect once you restart.

Reward points if helpful.

Regards

Vamshi Polasa

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi krishna,

1) Java vertion should return with the new vertion as soon as the enviromental variable has been changed... make sure the variable is changed under system variables and not under user variables.

2)There should be not effect on Oracle at all.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juan,

JAVA_HOME was set under system environment variable category for sidadm login.But Java -version still points to old version under D:|oracle|<SID>\101\jre\1.4.2. Do we require reboot the server after environment variables set? I tried logoff and login from sidadm but no luck.

Regards, Krishna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yeah u need to restart the complete system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Juan, Thanks I will try reboot of the system and let you know.