cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference in Inside-out and Outside-In development approaches

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you please tell me difference between Inside-out and Outside-In development approaches. I heard it with respect to adapters and proxies.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rupesh...

<b>Nice question as a Project Management point of view..</b>

We can go for Interface development in 2 ways..:

1. Create Interface objects in XI and replicate that thing in both sides for further development..

Adv :: You are not dependent on others for XI development....Like in case of Proxies.

Disadvantage : Skill in proxy required..

2. Create RFC/IDoc in end systems and import those in XI for development..

Advantage : People are usually familiar/comfortable with adapter oriented approach rather then adapter less..

Disadvantage : you can't start your work before the end systems have completed their task..Once they have completed then only you can import the RFC/IDoc and proceed..

About deciding the approach : It depends upon teams strength/situation ...Like in one of the project i have worked Project needs to be done by a Consortium of 3 teams from different companies..One for handling legacy one for R3 one for XI..

So we went for Approach 1 as we don't want our work to be dependent on others..

Hope i am clear..

Regards,

vikas_agarwal
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

When we uses the interfaces provided by RFC/ BAPI and Idoc then it is called as Inside out approach

And when we creates our own interfaces by creating data types and message types then it is called as Outside-In Approach.

Thanks