Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating parameter definitions based on ABAP source code?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I encountered an interesting issue with function building in ABAP. Is it possible, by having a complete source code for the function, to automatically update parameters in Import/Export/Tables/Exceptions tabs (SE37)? That would save a lot of time when e.g. recreating a sample that someone posted in the forums.

Thanks

Janek

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

former_member202957
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Janek,

Yes, it is possible to generate a function module by giving import, export , tables and exceptions if you having all the functionality with you. But is it possible for you to use the same function module in differnt reports? once you created the function module as per ur requiment but make sure that it can be reused in other reports also then only it is gud to create the function module. The main aim behind creating these function is its reusability if you cant use the fuction module more than once what is the use of making it? so thats why we go for reports rather than creating functions.

<b>reward if useful</b>

regards,

sunil kairam.

4 REPLIES 4

former_member202957
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Janek,

Yes, it is possible to generate a function module by giving import, export , tables and exceptions if you having all the functionality with you. But is it possible for you to use the same function module in differnt reports? once you created the function module as per ur requiment but make sure that it can be reused in other reports also then only it is gud to create the function module. The main aim behind creating these function is its reusability if you cant use the fuction module more than once what is the use of making it? so thats why we go for reports rather than creating functions.

<b>reward if useful</b>

regards,

sunil kairam.

0 Kudos

You didn't get my question. I'm asking about the other way around.

If I have source code only (e.g. a sample function posted here in the forum) and I want to recreate that function in my system with Import/Export/Table parameter tabs filled automatically, is that possible?

E.g. in Microsoft Visual Studio.NET environment that's possible (both directions: code updates the design view; design view updates code). In SAP, however, it looks like only one direction is possible - declaring attributes manually updates the parameter definitions in code. Or am I wrong?

Janek

0 Kudos

Hi Janek,

Its not possible to do backwards as you had written. In SAP, you have to manually enter them as imp/exp/tables/exceptions in the Function module and when you generate, SAP automatically makes them appear in the commented section in the begining of the Source Code, Reversely its not possible.

Thanks,

Anita

0 Kudos

Thanks, this is what I wanted to know.

Janek