cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to check on a credit memo

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'd like some help with a credi memo which displays closed but was never applied to an incoming payment. How do I do an inquiry to see why the credit shows closed when the customer assures they have not taken the credit?

Pls. Help.

Thx.

Veronica

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Veronica,

When you create a Credit Memo from the Invoice (using the Copy from / Copy to option), The Credit Memo shows as closed as the Credit Memo is created as an exact reversal of the A/R Invoice.

If you create a stand alone credit memo not based on an invoice then it will show Open.

Please verify and let me know.

Suda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Veronica!

One note, if an invoice is paid in full then you cannot create a credit memo for it using the copy to/from.

Conversely, to create a credit memo this way for an invoice it means that the invoice was not paid, or (really bad practice), the payment applied to the invoice was cancelled, hence the invoice reopened, and now available to be credited.

If the invoice is not paid, there is nothing to refund the customer.

If the invoice was paid, then payment was cancelled, then the invoice was credited, and now the customer needs the money back, you can check this by following these steps: bring up the BP Card, drill into the account balance, look for any transaction with Origin RC that reads under Details "Reverse Entry for Confirmation No...." The C/D will be a negative amount in parenthesis, double negative...

If this is the case, and the customer indeed paid the invoice, I might not be qualified to guide you there, but you might need to recreate the incoming payment, then create an outgoing payment against the customer payment.

Reconcile the four open transactions, the initial incoming payment, the entry made by the cancellation, the new incoming payment and the outgoing payment.

You should consult with an accountant or the SAP support on how to properly handle this scenario.

Well, hope it helps.

Liviu