cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to use WEb Dynpro application and Portal application in NW dev studio

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would like to know what is the difference between

webdynpro application and EP Application using PDK.

Are they comaparable ...Which one has an edge over the other specific to any applications.

I want develop an application related to e-commerce using the SAP R3 as backend for an industiry(where in a registered user can place an order and query on the staus of order. All the data will be stored in R3 ).

I am planning to dev this using NW dev studio , but have an appehension about which application is useful for this kind of application either webdynpro or EP application .

can anybody explain which one has edge over the other ( Webdynpro or EP applcations in context with NW Dev studio) and why.

thanks

PK

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi PK G,

It all depends on your requirement. Using webdynpro, the development is much faster as it has many builtin APIs and templates. But it does not support client side eventing. Also SAP provides very limited options in webdynpro when it comes to the look & feel.

Using PDK, you can develop any kind of pages you require, but you need to build it from scratch. It supports client side eventing and java scripts. But since there are no ready-made templates, the development will take time. For eg: to access an RFC in WebDynpro, you can readily import the RFC as a model & use it in your program. But in PDK, you need to write your own code for creating the jco class and connecting to R/3. But as i told, you can have complete control over the fron end in PDK, but not so in webdynpro.

Hope this helps,

Best Regards,

Nibu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Too add some more to Nibu Wilson Answers.

Webdynpros are easy to use due to less coding and drag and drop facility of UI elements,themes are availblein webdynpros but limited in nature.

Enterprise portal where provides you the following Benefits

Common Platform – Having the Enterprise Portal as the single window user interface layer provides the unified view for the business users of SCA packaging to carry out their day-to-day activities instead of logging into separate systems and carrying out their jobs manually.

Flexible & Scalable – Flexible and extensible architecture as SAP NetWeaver is based on open-standards so that a new system/business process can be plugged into the existing architecture instead of building from scratch. This offers greater flexibility for the future modifications and enhancements of SCA Packaging.

Standard/Common approach – The approach that will be used for this model can be replicated across other business process carried out by SCA Packaging and implemented globally across all the business units in a phased approach.

Leverages existing investments – The approach per this model leverages the existing investments as the solution is built over the existing landscape and not a rip-replace mechanism. This opens up the framework to move towards composite applications & lays the foundation for the world of web services which will help SCA Packaging to realize the potential benefits of Enterprise Service Architecture (ESA) in future.

Potential for cost savings – Rapid application development provides a strategic advantage to the business yielding higher ROI. Productivity of the users is increased by providing the unified view of heterogeneous application landscape and relieving them to an extent from their manual works which directly is a cost saving. Training the business users is again a direct saving to the company as they are provided with a single uniform UI.

Hope this info helped you

Regrads,

RK

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

guru_subramanianb
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

The requirement for Webdynpro and EP differs very much.

Webdynpro:-

1)Used for rapid development

2)drag and drop feature

3)not expected to know entire programming but need to have knowledge on binding and context mapping.

4)used for getting user defined layouts and pages.

On top of this check my Blog on the same where I compared Webdynpro with JSP Dynpage(freq used EP Dev environment)

/people/guru.subramanianb/blog/2005/03/29/jspdynpage-vs-webdynpros

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Guru

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes Nibu is right,

One more thing is u need EP server for that pdk development, and for webdynpro WAS server alone is enough. Installation of EP itself is a very big deal if u dont have prior knowledge or any help.

All the best.

Regards,

Sirisha.R.S.