cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usages In Item Category Determination

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Friends,

Usages is one of element to determine the Item category. Would any one tell me what is it?

why it is required?

what is effect in business transaction process.

Regards

arun

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The usage is used to determine the ITEM CATEGORY, it is maintained in CMIR ,.

Usage This is primarily used for text items to go with the standard item.

For ex. repairs for a material.

For Free Goods Usage is FREE

Well in Cusotmer material info record which is Tcode VD51, you enter the details, and then enter the material and double click on the line item you will see item usage as the last field.

Please do read the other threads before posting as there is a question being asked just below

Hope this helps

Cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Anuj

Thank for good suggestion "Please do read the other threads before posting as there is a question being asked just below".

Tell me HOW i will know this type of question is asked before. Bec I am new to this site.

Arun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Its very simple it was clearly mentioned in the subject line about the same topic, i do agree somtimes its hard to find as the Questions keep on popping and may be the thread you want to see would move to the next pages but then there is always a search given by SAP.

Well you will definately get to learn more and more as you start using SDN more effecitvely, and in turn reward to motivate others to help you solve your Query,

Cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arun,

Usually a quick search for your question would probably uncover a lot of similar questions with answers. You're supposed to post a question only if your answer is still not answered.

In any case, the answer to your question is not straighforward. Yes, the usage does determine the Item category (along with the item category group and sales document), but it is not something you can control.

Usage SENI and SEIN for instance are used for sales document type DR. When you create a sales document of type DR via resource related billing (DP90) it uses one type of usage (SENI or SEIN, can't remember), while when you create the same sales document type directly in VA01 you get the other type. I don't remember whether it's SENI or SEIN in each situation, but the point is that the type of usage is determined by the system and there's nothing you can do to manipulate it.

The only thing you can do is to play around with item category determination config to see what usage is used in each case. The way I went about it was to start with only one entry in the config, for instance:

Sales doc type: DR

Item category group: 0002

Usage: blank

Default item category: L2N

Then try creating your sales document. If you get an error in Item category determination then you know something's wrong with that rule. Read the message and try to correct the entry in the table. Usually the error tells you exactly what you're missing. If for instance the message tells you that there is no entry in the table for the combination DR 0002 SENI, then you know that the system uses item usage SENI in your example and you need to ammend the entry in the table to:

Sales doc type: DR

Item category group: 0002

Usage: SENI

Default item category: L2N

That I think is the only way to understand the Item Usage

cheers

Michalis

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

The item usage indicator controls the system reaction when you process a sales document item in a certain context.

This indicator can be used for determination of item categories, where you can use it to control which other item categories are to be found in a certain environment (text items and packing items, for example).

It can also control which items are to be billed in a service quotation or the corresponding sales order and which are only there for statistical reasons.

Also check the item usage in the Customer material Info record in control data Tab in VD51. The usage given here is used in item category determination.

CHAN