cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practise for multiple SLDs and CMS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

We are planning on our XI Landscape, can you guide me to best practices document or weblogs on where it answers my following points.

We are planning to have DEV - QA - PROD XI Boxes. We are planning to implement CMS. What is the optimal approach, pros and cons of each approach.

1) Installing one central SLD which would be either on DEV or QA box. CMS also installed on the same box.

2) Installing two SLDs

i) one on Dev Box. CMS on Dev Box sharing SLD

ii) second SLD on QA box which is shared by PROD box which will be the SLD used for production.

<i><b>I would be happy to see responses with any existing landscapes which are being implemented by you guys in case of CMS also in picture.</b></i>

Thanks in Advance

Regards

Sujan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check the following document

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/com.sap.km.cm.docs/library/xi/3.0/how to use cms in xi 3.0.pdf

In this read page 5 (2.2 System Landscapes in XI) you will get fair idea how to use CMS with your case.

There is a webinar presentation for CMS

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/com.sap.km.cm.docs/library/events/webinars/us... cms %20Webinar%20Details/Using%20CMS%20%20%20Webinar%20Presentation.pdf

regards

SKM

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SKM,

Thanks for the response. I have both of the documents you referred, they always explain the possibilties but never enumerate which is the best approach.

Regards

Sujan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sujan,

SAP suggests you to use single SLD for the whole company. But I've used 2 landscapes one for DEV & QA and one for PRD and CMS was on DEV & QA SLD system.

At my next project we had single SLD on Web AS Java system. I felt this was the best approach. No hassle of maintaining SWCVs and making sure their GUIDs are correct in case of a problem.

Regards

SKM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SKM,

Thanks for the Info, can you also please let me know on the single SLD scenario, where was the SLD and CMS

Regards

Sujan

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have created a separate instance for SLD called SL1, it is Web AS Java only. It has its own user management, and need to create the communication users.

On top of that, we deployed CMS. Then created the domain and so on.

If you want to go for single SLD, refer OSS Note 720717.

regards

SKM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shravan,

I am not convinced with the fact that we can use a single SLD for the whole company. If SLD is down, Production will also be affected right?? IS there any high availability option for SLD? or what are the approaches if SLD fails?? Is it not considered as a Single Point of Failure??

Thank you

Thanujja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thilothama,

The choice of number of SLDs is done by the architecture team. The SLD has many use cases apart from the XI.

My personal choice is to have one SLD for the DEV and QA and one for the production.

regards

Shravan

Former Member
0 Kudos

If we use single SLD for all the environments dev, qa, prd, what happens if sld fails. Also consider that SLD is used for only XI and its on Web AS Java. Do we need any switchover environment? if so what can be used? if not needed, why???

Any ideas??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In my project we have maitained 2 SLD one for Production landscape and one for non-Production landscape. However the High Availability scenario is available in 7.1 but it is not there in release 7.0.

In case of release 7.0 you have to follow the following procedure to have the similar (HA) kind of scenario:

1). In case of ABAP and dual stack go to SLDAPICUST and maitain two entries for SLD with proper host name, port number and PIAAPLUSER detail.

Make one entry as Primary.

Also if JAVA stack is also there then go to Admin tool and maintain the detail in "HTTP Setting" of the "SLD Data Service" with the data of the primary SLD just maintained above through SLDAPICUST.

2). In case of only JAVA stack maitain the detail in "HTTP Setting" of the "SLD Data Service" with the data of the primary SLD.

Note--Here there is no option to maintain two SLD server details.

3). Now Login to ABAP/+JAVA stack server at the SAP GUI level and check the connection by executing SLDCHECK command. If it works fine then do the following:

a). Now to make your two SLD in sync login to SLD with Admin user having write access to LCR (e.g. PISUPER, j2ee_admin in case of ABAP+JAVA or "administrator" user in case of JAVA stack) and go to Administration->Data Suppliers->Add SLD.

Here you have to add the other SLD detail in the form of "http://<servername>:<j2eeport>/, with SLDDSUSER ID detail. This will make both the SLD in sync to each other.

Note--Make sure that the password for all the user mentioned above is same in both the SLD otherwise it would cause an error.

b). Also take the full export of your primary SLD by going through "Administartion->Export" and Import it in your secondary SLD. This will make both the SLD in sync with each other initialy and you won't get any error when both SLD tried to sync automaticaly.

4). In the case when one SLD is down then make the other SLD primary through the transaction "SLDAPICUST", RZ70 and by logging through Admin tool. Check your setting through the transaction SLDCHECK.

Note--In RZ70 you have only one option and you can maitain only one SLD detail at a time. So whenever there is a problem in one SLD make sure that you have make the changes in RZ70 as well with the new detail of the SLD.

Best regards,

sheo