Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item Categories

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

This is regarding Item categories,

Can any one please explain hoe are item categories determined in sales order.

S.Doc It.Cat.Grop Usage H.LIt.Cat Ite.Cat

OR NORM TAN

OR NORM TEXT TAN

OR NORM XXX TAN

OR NORm ABC TAN

how is it determined from above scenario.

Message was edited by:

R REddy

Message was edited by:

R REddy

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Item category is very important in any sales document , it determine how item will behave that means whether it is relevant for billing , pricing ,picking ,packing or delivery etc .

Item category is determine on the basis of Four things

Sales doc type + Item category group + Usage Indicator + Higher level item.

eg OR + NORM + X + TAN = TANN

See in this example i have taken standard item category TAN as Higher levelm item .

By Mainintaining this above in VOV4 . I can deliver free of charge item to my customer. As in STD SAP TANN item category is for free of charge items .

Sales always starts checking first from higher level to Lower level.

I mean to say it will check first Sales doc type , then customer Master( Here system will check whether the material enter should not be restricted for the customer thru listing and exclusion) then material Master ( NORM is determine from Sales view of Material master).

In tcode OVVW u can mainatin Item usage indicator

It is used to control which other item categories are found in certain Environment (Text item, packing item , free item etc)

It aslo control which item are relevant for billing and which are for statistical purpose.

Hope this calrify a bit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

The question is...

ORNORM(no usage)+TAN

ORNORMTEXT+TAN

ORNORMABC+TAN

in this scenario which Item Cat. is determined at order level and why...?

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Reddy

Please follow the link how item category is determined

<a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_46c/helpdata/en/43/3bcfea0bff11d2956700a0c9306667/frameset.htm">Item Category Determination</a>

<b>1) Higher-level item category</b>

The item category of the higher-level item determines the item category of related sub-items. For example, in VOV4, for the combination of <b>OR / NORM</b>, if I maintain <i>categories like TAC, TAE, TAN</i>, sale order will consider this first and will fetch into your sale order.

<b>2) Default item category for the document</b>

The item category that the system automatically proposes when you create a document or create a new item within an existing document. In VOV4, if you leave the "<i>Higher Level Category</i>" as blank, the next default field would be this field.

<b>3) Manual item category in the document</b>

Specifies an item category that you can enter as an alternative to the automatic proposal from the system. For any reason, if you want to change the item category manually for that particular order, you can maintain here the said category.

Thanks

G. Lakshmipathi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Here OR means Document Type.

whether it is Inquriery or Question or Order.

NORM means item category group. It comes from the Material master record.

TAN means the item category. It has some functionalities.whether the material is relavent for billing ,pticing or the material is relavent for delivery or not.

we assign these in the T.code VOV4.

regards,

vas.v.s.