Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Key Mapping Sample

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Is there any simple key mapping sample?

I would like to create a protoype loading (manually) a materials base from different sources (companies) and later try to create key mapping, in order to understand how this key mapping works.

Regards,

Ronaldo.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ronaldo,

During your load from different sources, are you planning to create a surrogate key (sequence number) or are you planning to use one of the fields as key?

You can generate keys in SP2 MDM using the key generation feature. Agency or Client system as it is called in SP2 is a repository level setting- not table level setting. You can set it to any value, say MDM - but you will use that in all your imports and/or exports using import manager and syndicator.

You can load data from each source (say, A, B, C) in separate tables, and then create a cross reference table (ABC) that uses the above tables as look ups. For A, B, C tables, you use the uniqueness identifier (product id or company code, etc.) of the data as the key. For the ABC table, you can use a composite key made of keys from individual source tables (ProductidA, productidB, productidC)or generate a sequence key. This design allows you to store fields relevant to each source in A, B, C tables, and fields relevant to the cross reference in ABC.

When you create the tables in console, set the key mapping to YES.

Good luck!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Savitri,

Your solution might work, however sounds like lot of work for me as I need to have cross ref. table also to maintain. Instead I switch on the key mappings and while distributing the data back to application systems MDM will automatically send the right key for the specific application system to which the data is being sent to.

Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

the idea of key mapping is simple. you can assign new ID (no necessarily unique) for every record only within the bounds of a specific client system. In other words only this clien system knows (sees) this assigned key. Since it's not part of record but exists as an extended value (visible only for that client system) it's called the remote key.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roman

Thanks for your answer.

As I am beginner in MDM, I am not even sure if key mapping is what I need.

What I want to do is:

- Simulate a group with 3 companies. In this group each company has its own materials database. So, let's suppose a certain material has a different code in each company.

- In company A, this material is called A1.

- In company B, this material is called B1.

- And in company C, C1.

After these material bases have been loaded in MDM, someone would analyze these products, and based on there coincident physical characteristics conclude: OK, all are the same material. All these materials would receive a UNIQUE identification, which could be used to generate cross-company reports, allowing these "different" products be grouped together (or compared).

This UNIQUE Identification should be something like below:

Product  Company   Unique Code
A1       A         X001
B1       B         X001
C1       C         X001

Is that the objective of Key mapping?

If so, I am having some problems to make it works:

- There is a agency field in Key Mapping. What it means? Would it be the same as "company" in example above? If so, why there is no Agency field in records that I insert manually...I feel I am missing some important concept here.

- When I insert a key mapping for my second product, the key mapping for the first one is delete. Why?

Definitively I know that my questions are very basic (and boring, probably). If there is a tutorial for newbies, I would appreciate.

Regards,

Ronaldo.

Former Member
0 Kudos

>this UNIQUE Identification should be something like

> below:

>

>

> Product  Company   Unique Code
> A1       A         X001
> B1       B         X001
> C1       C         X001
> 

>

>

> Is that the objective of Key mapping?

That's exactly the objective. The unique code in your case is a field of the table - so everybody sees it and gets the same key.

> If so, I am having some problems to make it works:

> - There is a agency field in Key Mapping. What it

> means? Would it be the same as "company" in example

> above? If so, why there is no Agency field in records

> that I insert manually...I feel I am missing some

> important concept here.

You're almost there. The agencies are defined in the console (see Savi's answer below). To create a key you have two options: either to assign a value during importing process to a remote key (in this case the remote kye belongs to the agency that is used in this import). Or to create a remote key manualy in the client. Right-click on the record and choose KeyMapping at the very bottom. There you can assign many keys to many agencies.

> - When I insert a key mapping for my second product,

> the key mapping for the first one is delete. Why?

Try this "edit key mapping" dialog. You should be able to add many keys for many agencies at the same dialog box.

> Definitively I know that my questions are very basic

> (and boring, probably). If there is a tutorial for

> newbies, I would appreciate.

Don't be shy to ask:-)

> Regards,

> Ronaldo.

>