cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing a material code.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

how can I change a material code from one to another one?

Best regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Create a new material code and transfer the stock.

Lakshman

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

csaba_szommer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

What is your purpose exactly? What do you think of exactly?

As Jürgen wrote you cannot change the code of an existing material master record.

What you can do is to create a new one and you can mark the old one with deletion flag (MM06) (+ block its status e.g.) / archive.

If your (old) material is in use and it is in BOM and you want to change the code because of engineering change you can use ECM to map & control the changes.

If you do not want such an administration you can simply implement the new code as follow-up material (please check MRP 4). In this case you will get rid of the old material master record after a while. When the old one is ramped down you can change the BOM. I think you should consider this alternative!

If your problem is that you want to transfer the stock from one material to another one, you can use MB1B 309 as it was said but I do not recommend it to you because I think this MVT is not for this purpose (you can use MVT 309 e.g. in chemical industry when a material changes after a while and you get a new one). If you decide to do this please take care of the standard price (if you use SP).

You can solve this thing through inventory booking (MVT 701/702). Reduce the stock of the old material and increase the stock of the old one.

(You can use MVT 201/202 for this purpose as well...)

Please tell us the reason of the change maybe you can get more fitting answers.

BR

Csaba

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Question#1 why do you want to change the material# itself? What is the business case? Please explain....If at all needed, you can do as below under "Restricted Conditions".

Step#1 Create a new material from MM01 by copying the old one. You can not have a different base UoM than the old one. SAP doesn't allow you to do material to material transfer if you would like to do so.

Step#2 Use Transfer Posting feature either in MIGO or MB1B (mvt ty - Material to Material). Then you can post the document....

Alternatively, discard the existing material. With no relation to it, create a new material all together, and now you can have any base UOM and other features you wish, for the new one. Use 561 to bring inthe initial stocks for new material.

Good luck

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

it is just not possible to change the material code.