cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to MOVE the ARCHIVE LOG files on unix OS.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

we have sceduled a job for every 4 hours , that writes the offline redolog files(archived logs) to the other disk.

we have faced a situation that with in the periond of 4 hrs. ORAARCH directory got filled. ... so <b>no user is able to login</b>.

Now how to <b>move some of these files to the target disk MANUALLY at OS(UNIX)</b> level

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi siva,

You can use the below command for moving files at Unix level.

The below command should be executed with ora<sid> user.

mv <filename> <target directory>

Its better if you move only those files which have been saved earlier in your backup.

Once there is enough space in the oraarch directory, you can trigger the redo log backup once more - to initiate your back up procedure

former_member193294
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I guess most people have given the right answer but I will append mine as well from personal experience:

Move the offline redo log files temporarely to a temp directory and then run the job again (manually) to free up some space.

Why do not you consider running the job more frequent, every 2 hours for example?

We run a similar one every 2 hours and if no offline redo logs are available (due to low activity) then the job reported as "missed".

Rgds,

Loukas

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Siva,

the following solution maybe the best.

1) Create an auto-reaction method in the ccms for the archiving with an external system command (command: "mv $ORACLE_HOME/oraarch/* /<SAVE_DIRECTORY">

2) Monitor the archivelog filesystem by CCMS and if a defined fill grade is reached you run the auto-reaction method

In other ways you can also include the brtools in this scenario (instead of moving the archivelogs)

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can move the archived logs manually to free up space, but the recommended way is to temporary direct the archive destination to another directory. And if you use Brtools 7.00 and above, the Brarchive is able to locate and backup archived logs in different directories, thus preventing any gaps from occuring. Reference note : 391

0 Kudos

the Unix move command is "mv".

so you can login to your Unix box as orasid (replace sid with your SID in lowercase).

find a dir that has free space (depend on which flavor of Unix you have you can either do "df" or "bdf" to see which file system has enough free space).

let's assume /oracle/stage has 10GB free space, type in this:

mkdir /oracle/stage/oraarch

mv /oracle/SID/oraarch/*.dbf /oracle/stage/oraarch/

HOWEVER, make sure that you will backup this separate directory in some way. The ordinary brarchive or RMAN backup won't backup archive logs in other dir. So if you Manually moved these archive logs but do not Manually back them up, you won't be able to recover with these files in case you need to.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just a note of caution here...

If you you mv and the target filesystem happens to fill up...you've just lost that archivelog that was being moved.

I usually perform a copy then rm (after verifying the file exist on the target).

Alternatively, you can simply modify your log destination on the fly.

This will direct the Oracle Archiver process to archive to the new destination...

This gives you breathing room to clean up the issue...

This does not address your root cause though...

1) Is your archive directory too small?

2) Do you know why you are generating these spurious logs? i.e. is there a runaway process or is the DB still in hot mode, etc...

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

run the job you run... but manually...