cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to install a business package in the portal ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I am a beginner in SAP Netweaver Portal, and i have a question :

How to install a business package in the portal ?

Thanks & regards

Hassan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai,l

We can download the business package from "www.sdn.sap.com/contentportfolio" site and import to the portal.

To import follow these :

Login as adminstrator->select system Administration->Transport Packages->export->select the downloaded package..

Try this it should work fine.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dhanunjay,

May be you mean <b>import </b>instead of <b>export </b>in your message ???

Regards

former_member188632
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hassan,

Well i would like to quote one more point here, although you can import a buss pack into the portal but there are some std methods to be followed for every thing in portal, When it comes to deploying a busines package, you should always do it from SDM only !! although we can use import facility. now let me tell you the difference between the two. When you use import, you are just putting the contents into the portal and not deploying it, where as using SDM you deploy the SCA files on your portal totally. you must be knowing that business packages are always delivered in SCA formats.

Regards,

Ameya

Message was edited by:

Ameya Pimpalgaonkar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ameyda,

I have a question for you :

In the case of a simple user who is not an administrator, and had only Web access to the Portal, how can he deploy an end user business package ?

Regards

former_member188632
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hassan,

Deploying a business package is usually done by BASIS people, even though portal admin can do the same but usually it is done by BASIS team and then developers can use it. importing doesnt mean you are deploying a package, you are just putting or uploading it.

Regards,

Ameya

former_member188632
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hassan,

If your problem is solved then kindly close the thread.

Regards,

Ameya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ameyda,

I am a biginner in SAP Netweaver & SAP Nw Portal and i don't know if SDM is a component of SAP NetWeaver ? or is a separate tool ?

Thanks for your help

Hassan

former_member188632
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hassan,

It is a tool of j2ee engine, as we all know we need WAS/j2ee engine for portal to work, when you install this SDM gets deployed on the server. once you are done with the installation, you can find SDM at the following location

\usr\sap\SID\JC<Instance number>\SDM\program\RemoteGui.bat

This is SDM gui from where you can deploy all your Business packages.

Regards,

Ameya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In this case it is necessary to install a j2ee engine.

But in the case of an end user, it is not necessary for him to install the SDM to deploy a business package !!!

My question was : How a user can customize the portal with content of a business package using only the functionality of the portal (eg administration interface) ???

Regards

former_member188632
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hassan,

As i said earlier usually end user never deploy Business packages and you never install SDM it gets installed with j2ee engine and SDM is only availabe on portal server and not on end user's machine.Look if you know how the hierarchy goes,

there are portal administrators, basis people, portal developers and finally there are end users. Portal implements strict permissions to respective role as i have stated here. so end user is never given a credentials to deploy anything on portal, even if you are portal developer, your administrator deploys the business package for you. And as a devloper you can do all the customization you want from portal content (Using Content Admin role assigned).

I hope i am making it simpler and not complex.

Regards,

Ameya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

End user uses portal to view the iViews and other UI. So if you want the business package to be deployed in portal, as suggested, you have to use SDM. End user can't do that. It is work of the Basis team. In case, you have access to the server system, you can deploy the package yourself from SDM. End users can't do anything in this regard.

Regards,

Harini S

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

Thank you very much for your help, Now i see things well

Thanks & regards

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member188632
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
former_member182374
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Log as Administrator to the portal.

System Administration -> Transport -> Transport packages -> Import -> Client

Select your business package and load it

Regards,

Omri

former_member188632
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can deploy the business pack on to the portal usinf SDM (Software deployment manager), using this tool your Business Pack gets deployed on the portal. you can look for remotegui.bat file and start it, i.e. the SDM gui.

Regards,

Ameya