cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webservice load testing

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

How can we perform load testting on webservices ??

Do we have any tools for this ?

Ex : simluate the webservice call for 100 users.

Thanks,Anilkumar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anilkumar,

There a some very nice tools for this purpose. It depends on your requirements what tools suites best. When you are just interested in roundtrip times or at what load your webservices break, you can perfectly use open source tools like JMeter (Apache) and SOAPUI.

If you need more information, like OS statistics (CPU usage, I/O, etc) and DB statistics, in the same measurement then you need commercial tools like Borland SilkPerformer or Mercury LoadRunner, but these tools cost a lot of money.

So try JMeter first to see if it covers your needs, and then you can decide what to do later on!

Rolf.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HP's Service tester tool will do the job in a nice fashion as long as you have the money to buy license. Service tester is wrapper around load runner so that it will bring all good features of load runner into service perspective.

In case if you do not want fancy report data, you can also use couple of free ware tool such as

Eviware SoapUI 1.6, Eviware, eviware.com

PushToTest TestMaker PushToTest, pushtotest.com

WebInject WebInject, webinject.com

I know some BIG firms in the world use pushToTest for ALL web service related testing.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

...or you have a real programmer in your company which builds you a little multithreaded java program in next to no time picking different configurations from simple CSV-Files...

Former Member
0 Kudos

That is not really true,

Performance of a service is not really measured just how can we pump the service end point but also how service components and supporting platform contribute to maintain the right througoutput.

So just like in any software application testing you have to collect the staticall data for each calls from

1. Hardware perspective (CPU, Thread, Socket etc)

2. Plarform perspective such as JAVA, .NET and what ever

3. Component perspectibe such as SDO, SCA, EJB, POJO, ADO etc

4. Application perspective: such as a war, ear, etc

5. Application platform perspective such a J2EE application resources such as JMS, JDBC, Pooling, Caching, Heap, I/O etc

6. Network perspective: such as band width, firwall etc

For example

If I deploy a highly tuned EJB in an ASYNC mode of service enablement using a J2EE platform and if I haven't tuned my JMS framework, my service based on EJB will not provide the right performance in a highly loaded situation.

So web service end point is just one side of the story. However performance is all about how do I get the work done through the web service interface so that the component, platform, hardware and network behind the screen will serve the purpose in a reasonable FASHION.

Thanks