cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System copy with Win/SQLServer version upgrade, is it homogeneous?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

we are going to perform a system copy (prior to an 4.6C->4.7 upgrade) to a different hardware. The OS/DB will be updated too (just the version): Win NT 4.0 -> Win 2003 / SQL Server 7.0 -> SQL Server 8.0 . How should I consider this system copy, homogeneous or heterogeneous?

Note this bit of confusion: In the FAQ of service.sap.com/osdbmigration it is stated: «A change of the version of the operation system and/or the database system is not relevant in the context of a migration or a homogeneous system copy. If you don't change the product, but only the release level it is a homogeneous system copy. If you change OS and/or DB, it is a migration. ». Conversely, in the overview (page 16) of the guide 'SAP R/3 Homogeneous System Copy - Unix/Windows/OS390/OS400 - Release 4.6C SR2' it is stated: «

Caution:

The SAP System release of the source and target systems must be the same. The same

applies to the release of the operating system and the database system.»

Thanks and regards,

Antonio.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Antonio,

During TADM70 (the OS/DB migration training), SAP states clearly that if you upgrade the OS and/or DB to a successor release, this is NOT a migration. This is what you are performing, since Windows 2003 is a successor of NT 4 and SQL server 8 of 7. According to this definition, you would perform a homogeneous system copy.

Nevertheless of wether you call this a homo- or heterogeneous system copy, either way it's how you perform this change that is really important. You are allowed to use the SAP migration tools for this change, and if you want more knowledge on how they work you should attent the TADM70 course.

Good luck!

Walter

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's right, SAP confirms this is an homogeneous system copy. This is my first upgrade and I needed this information in order to follow the appropriate documented procedure.

At this very moment the system copy is about to finish and I am not having remarkable issues. I will leave TADM70 for the next time, but thanks for the advice.

Thank you Walter and best regards,

Antonio.

Answers (0)