cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove case sensitivity of password?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I want to remove case sensitivity of password. Some times caps lock button is on and user trying to login and its result in user lock so i want to remove case sensitivity setting from my server.

pls help.

Thanks and Regards,

Pramod

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can set the profile parameter value of login/password_downwards_compatibility to 5 to remove the case sensitivity of the password. The disadvantage of this is the length of password is restricted to a maximum of 8.

Bhaskar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Pramod,

This should be helpful :-

/people/sap.user72/blog/2005/10/19/attention-security-administrators-new-password-rules-are-on-their-way - most helpful

The profile parameters login/min_password_lowercase and login/min_password_uppercase provide the definition of the number of required upper and/or lower case characters. You can choose any value from 0 – 40, the default value is 0. With a setting of 0 any enforcement is currently deactivated.

In lower releases users could only change their passwords once a day. You can now configure this waiting period to a longer time via the following profile parameter login/password_change_waittime. The range is from 1 – 1,000 days with the default being 1, which represents the former system behavior.

Regards,

Manomeet

• Award points if helpful **

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This will not solve the problem...

paremeters login/min_password_lowercase and login/min_password_uppercase establish the minimun ammount of caracters in upper or lowecase but if the user still have CAPS lock ON they will not be recognize as lowercase or viceversa.

As mentioned before... this is simply not possible.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I have one more SAP Production system in that we can login by any lowercase or uppercase. Both sap version are same but different is that one is SAP ECC 6.0 and another is SAP R/3 Retail.

Thanks and regards,

Pramod

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasmod

Since NW 7.0 (ECC 6.0 is NW 7.0 based) passwords are case sensitive. You can set login/password_downwards_compatibility to 2 to switch back to the old behaviour, but that is less secure. It is all quite good outlined in the blog posted by

Manomeet.

You can also check sap this sap note:

1023437 - ABAP syst: Downwardly incompatible passwords (since NW2004s)

Best regards

Michael

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pramod,

As per 620 (i think) password are case sensitive... as far as i know theres no parameter to change this...

So I'm affraid you'll not be able to do this.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Pramod,

As Juan said you cannot change this. This feature was introduced from NW2004S onwards. This is not based on any parameter, it is a password rule. So cannot be changed.