Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM on Linux - stop/start on OS

former_member193294
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I have been working with an MDM test installation (stand alone - no NetWeaver installed) on a Linux server.

So far I had been trying to find a way to stop/start the services (MDS,MDIS,MDSS) in an automatic way and what I achieved is the following:

Set up 3 alias for starting the services

alias startmdis='pushd ~/mdm/mdis ; /opt/MDM/bin/mdis ; popd'

alias startmds='pushd ~/mdm/mds ; /opt/MDM/bin/mds ; popd'

alias startmdss='pushd ~/mdm/mdss ; /opt/MDM/bin/mdss ; popd'

and a small script which find the process ID and kills the 3 servers by calling stopmdm <server_name>

mdm@mucsapt2:~/scripts> more stopmdm

#!/bin/bash

#16-11-2007

1. Script to stop the MDM Server PIDs

2. mds, mdis, mdss

#

#

for X in `ps acx | grep -i $1 | awk {'print $1'}`; do

kill $X;

done

I am not sure is the best way for both actions but I have not found a better one. As far as I am aware stop/start through Console (MDS server only) and/or the CLIX doesn't work for Linux . I have tested and indeed I had issues.

Now in order to implement a backup solution for the MDM database I need to find a way that the applications are stopped before the DB goes down (off line backup) and started afterwards. This should be done automatically in a scheduled manner (cronjobs).

I found the following thread with similar queries.

Any ideas if there are similar cases from your experience with MDM and Linux?

Thanks in advance,

Loukas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Loukas

Add to Cleopatra's answer:

[code]mdm> clix mdsStop <hostname> Admin:<server_pw_if_any>[/code]

For your offline backup solution you can call your start and stop scripts. Additionally you probably have to start your repository (s). I integrated this in my startscript, and added an 'all' option, which starts the database, mdm processes and the reps. Here is the repository part:

[code]if [ "$arg1" = "all" ]; then

1. load all repositories in background

stopped_reps=`clix mdsStatus $hostname_full Admin:$mdmpw | grep Stopped | awk '{ print $1 }'`

for rep in $stopped_reps; do clix repLoad $hostname_full $:$:o:mdm Admin:$mdmpw -R -W > /dev/

null 2>&1 ; done &

echo ""

echo "starting Repositories: "$stopped_reps" in background!"

echo ""

echo "check the progress with: clix mdsStatus $hostname_full Admin:<mdmpw>"

fi[/code]

Best regards, Michael

former_member193294
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks to both of you Michael and Cleopatra.

I will adapt the changes you suggested to me and I will test then to see how it will work.

Many thanks,

Loukas

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Loukas!

CLIX should work for your scripts to stop the MDS process on Linux (there were problems with it in 5.5 SP5 Patch 0 and Patch 1 that were corrected in Patch 2, so it should work if you have that version). Currently there is no way to stop MDIS and MDSS using CLIX, but we hope to have that in the next major release of the software.

Let me know if you're still having a problem using CLIX to stop MDS (I believe you are using 5.5 SP5 Patch 2, right? aka 5.5.42.xx).

Thanks!

Cleopatra